Contest! Everybody enter! 7-6-12

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK I want to see some fun summer cooking pics....lets have the experience add to the food score...pool lake you name it...lets judge the food and the party and then total it up!

first place $25 credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second $15 credit to BIg Poppa SMokers
third $10 store credit to BPS

$5 bucks to everybody else!

RickB

Ok you heard the grand pubah. Lets see some partying. Since Im judgeing this week I guess I should let you know what might get you bonus points. Scantily clad women frolicking around the pool etc etc! Some things to avoid. Pictures of Sparky in a speedo. Good luck all!

RickB

plus it scares my wife. :(

Dont feel bad Spark...Remember back in the 80's when you had Borg,Mcanroe and Conner playing tennis? I decided to buy me a pair of those tight white tennis shorts.......Hell my wife ain't never been the same!

wneill20

Ok i will start with Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Pork Loin
The crew
TheGroup.jpg

Took the sausage, onions, mushrooms, garlic and saute them
saute.jpg

Mixed in the pork flavored stuffing
Stuffing.jpg

Then stuffed the pork loin
stuffed.jpg

Wrapped in bacon and ready for the smoker.
ReadyForSmoker.jpg

Had to have some veggies
Vegs.jpg
After 3 hours at 250*
After3hours.jpg

Sliced
Sliced.jpg

And plated
plated.jpg

Last edited:

sparky

party ribs

welp, i woke up saturday and my son my son walks in the house (he doesn't live here anymore, ya). he has a box of donuts and a couple of lattes w/ him. he also is carrying a grocery bag. he brought over 4 racks of ribs and said he was going to a party tonight and asked if i could cook them for him. he told me that 1 rack was for me as payment for cooking the others for him. do i get to keep the donuts. yes dad. deal.

ps: on a side note, i received some new rubs from BP to try out. jallelujah seasoned garlic salt w/ jalapeno and jallelujah season garlic salt w/ jalapeno, maple & bacon. ya again.

da players. 1st rack soileau's, 2nd rack swine / bovine, 3 rack maynards, 2 1/2 racks jallelujah jalapeno on one and jallelujah maple / bacon on the other.

after4thpics003.jpg

oh, we look good.

after4thpics009.jpg

ready for some FL. good color to it.

after4thpics022.jpg

time to break out some NC honey (going to need to order some more).

after4thpics017.jpg

were pretty.

after4thpics025.jpg

coming out of FL.

after4thpics031.jpg

my sons ribs are done. they look good.

after4thpics041.jpg

oh, mine are done too.

after4thpics047.jpg

look at the color. good smoke ring.

after4thpics052.jpg

oh, ya. a very good light flavor profile. i wasn't salty or to peppery at all. a good light taste to them.

after4thpics061.jpg

yummy.

squirtthecat

I haven't burned a pellet in anger in 3 weeks...

It was a record high 104° here on Friday, and the 4th of July meat sales ($1.19/lb for butts!) were still going on. So like a fool, I went out after work and loaded up on buts/ribs/chickens for the pellet poopers!

Butts went on at 7:45 Friday night. Sun is going down and it is still freaky hot out.

IMGP1225.JPG

Slathered with... You guessed it. (picked up a fresh bottle at the store)

IMGP1236.JPG

And some never ending dumpster rub.

IMGP1237.JPG

Set the Traeger at 180° for the overnight ride.

IMGP1242.JPG

9AM check, the sun is beating on it and I'm reading 250° on the dome thermo. Sheesh.

IMGP1249.JPG

IMGP1250.JPG

Done and done, and into my Nebraskan Cambros.

IMGP1253.JPG

IMGP1255.JPG

I'll pull them in a few hours and divvy up some packages for the fridge and freezer.

The ribs were cryovaced and frozen, so they are thawing in the fridge.

My buddy Sparky and I were doing some horsetrading, and out of the blue, he sent me one of these little beauties. Only used once!!

IMGP1257.JPG

Can't wait to try it out.

Cont..

Last edited:

squirtthecat

I haven't burned a pellet in anger in 3 weeks... (cont.)

Mountain of Poke.

IMGP1274.JPG

Piled in various containers the fridge for now. I'll vacbag a huge portion of it tomorrow.

--

Flash forward to 9:30AM on Sunday, and it is a crisp 80° outside.. Fire in the hole!

But first things first.

IMGP1276.JPG

Gonna try out my AMZNPS smoker today. But I didn't pick up a torch or fire gel to light it. Hmm... What I need is an open flame.

This might work.

IMGP1279.JPG

We have ignition..

IMGP1287.JPG

Yes! (don't try this at home, kids)

IMGP1291.JPG

Cue up the chicken parts and bback ribs. A little love to rub them with..

IMGP1292.JPG

Chicken goes on the bottom. I skinned two of the split breasts to see if I get any more smoke/rub flavor into the meat. (or if they will just dry out and be a total waste of time)

IMGP1294.JPG

Ribs up top.

IMGP1298.JPG

Lid down and the MAK is cruising at 245°. We'll check back in 90 or so.

--

Reading 160s in the dark meat, so off it comes and into the crock pot.

Nice color. Must be all that AMZN smoke.

IMGP1302.JPG

Ribs are looking good as well.

IMGP1308.JPG

Cont..

squirtthecat

I haven't burned a pellet in anger in 3 weeks... (cont.)

Rolling smoke!

IMGP1310.JPG

Split chix hit 158° or so. Into the crockpot with the dark meat.. (gonna make Smokey/Spicy pulled chicken with all of this)

IMGP1316.JPG

Ribs are coming along. Spritzing with a concoction of MrsSTC's lemon flavored water and some balsamic vinegar. No foil this time, but a 1/2 steam table pan full of warm water and a can of beer that spent a week in a 100° car trunk.

IMGP1318.JPG

--

Time to mix up some Balsamic Blues Hog glaze. I'm flat out of cider vinegar, so we made do..

IMGP1324.JPG

IMGP1325.JPG

Covered with some foil and parked on top of the grill to reduce a bit.

Cracked the lid for a spritz/peek at the ribs..

IMGP1329.JPG

Oh yeah.

I'll probably start glazing them in another 30 minutes or so.

--

Time for some paint..

IMGP1332.JPG

--

Done, wrapped and resting!

IMGP1346.JPG

IMGP1349.JPG

I'll probably vacuum seal them for dinners later this week. We have an abundance of pulled pork to work through first. ;)

Last edited:

Deb

Almost birthday dinner..... Kevin is 21 tomorrow :)

I asked him what he wanted - steak

so steak it is but first my parents showed up with blueberries & raspberries from their backyard so I decided we needed pie
photo-109-1.jpg

then started some potatoes - cut some local new potatoes about 3/4 of the way through , rolled in some butter
photo-116.jpg

when almost done added some grated cheese and chives
photo-115.jpg

started the steak..... while the potatoes were cooking the griddle was getting nice and hot.... added a little olive oil and butter ... threw in some filet mignon (about 1/2 well coated wtih pepper)
photo-114.jpg

pulled the steak at 125, tented with foil and started the sauce
a little more butter, some shallots, cooked them down, added some cognac until it cooked down, some beef broth and then after a bit some heavy cream
this is before it was fully cooked down
sauce.jpg

dinner - the steak with sauce, green beans & the potatoes
Untitled.jpg

photo-110-1.jpg

and dessert
photo-109-2.jpg

smokerjoe

Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms & Prawns

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

Stuffed with spinach, roasted red peppers & onions, bruschetta, goat cheese, and happy endings rub
IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

Scallywag

Time for the sauce... mixed all these up on a boil and reduced.

Basted every 15 mins till done....

Nom nom.. amazing!!!!
Thanks for looking!

Tatonka3A2

Tatonka T-Bones!!

Been a VERY long time since we got to enjoy some buffalo steaks of any kind...let alone T-Bones!

Put a little garlic olive oil as a base on the steaks followed up with some Tatonka Dust and Canadian Steak seasoning.

Put them on the Yoder and let them get smoke for about an hour and 1/2.

Pulled the steaks and turned the Yoder to 500°. Did 3 mins per side with some nice sear marks.

Exactly what I was going for!!

Of course shrimp seasoned with Money and some garlic toast...

Plated up and ready to dig in!

Money Shot!

This was by far the best steak we have had in years!! You would have thought it was a perfectly dry aged steak....crazy tender and such an amazing flavor. We are not going to go very long again before having another buffalo steak. Amazing! I wish everyone could taste this!!

A Light Dinner

As we get into summer, I have been leaning more towards light meals (more fish than beef and pork). So tonight I tried Tilapia again. First started with some appetizers, ABT's and Portabello Pizzas ( I am loving these, 3rd time in the last two weeks).

IMG_4157.jpg

Then put some squash on with a little Annies EVOO, Butter, and Desert Gold:

IMG_4158.jpg

Then the Tilapia, seasoned with EVOO and Desert Gold:

IMG_4159.jpg

All plated up with a cucumber, tomato, and red onion salad.

IMG_4164.jpg

A perfect light meal for a hot summer day!

Top Bottom