O/T The Beatles

Big Poppa

Administrator
Totally off topic but the lounge is for many things.

As most of you know the Beatles estate and Apple Computer ended their years of legal hassles and offered the entire catalog on itunes.

I bought it. I have it in most forms. But you really need to understand how
important the Beatles were to me as a musician and as a businessman in the music business.

In the package you get some video.....I watched the first concert on US soil that was two days after the Sullivan show in DC amazing.

The industry loves to create the next John Lennon...there will only be one Beatles

The amazing thing is that they went through their transformations and musical growth in just seven years. Most punk bands make two cd's in five years. The Beatles did it in 7 wow

No I will tie it top smoking...I will make a pledge to have at least 7 smokers going this weekend with the Beatles blaring the whole time....It will be a smokin Beatles weekend.

jimsbarbecue

The white album and Magical Mystery tour. Changed the game. Refresh my memory which album cover had them in butcher smocks? I can't have 7 pits going. But the white album was one of my favorites and being a double album , I have double smokers going.

TentHunter

Since we're off topic and onto the subject of music...

I am getting ready to restring my Bass guitar and already have a set of the nickle wound super slinky strings (in the pink pack).

However, I'm playing my bass a lot these days, every weekend and also for the local Middle school jazz band (my son plays drums in the jazz band). Since I'm playing a lot I was thinking of getting a set of the flat wound strings to reduce drag on my fingertips.

Never used flat wound before, don't know how they sound. Any thoughts/advice?

Phrett Bender

The flatwound bass strings play very nice, but IMO are a bit too bright for my tastes playing mainly blues and vintage rock things. To get a solid sound get the thickest set. In the nickel plated you can go a bit smaller in size, have less tension of the string so easier playability, and have a much warmer sound. It's kinda like which rub you like, one for every taste! I change strings fairly often when I'm playing one guitar or bass more often than not, and often change types of strings along the way to see if I prefer any one type over another. I keep a little scorecard with a few notes for each one so it's easy to compare.

I love iTunes and my iPod. So much music in such a little thing! I'm not one to grab allot of stuff from the iTunes store, though, except single tunes and had to find stuff. I prefer having the hard copy in a CD or LP. I use it so little I don't know if you can buy hard copy items there!

Last edited:

cowgirl

My big brothers taught me how to play a few Beatle songs... Blackbird, Junk, Here Comes the Sun.... that's all I can think of right now. :)
I'll have to get my guitar out and play a few this weekend too!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Phrett Bender..withy all due respect....I may have sold a few billion of these things and have a few patents. HHAHAHAHA

1. Flat wound is duller sounding not brighter. There is more fundamental of the note. For years everybody used flats. Roundwounds now outsell flats by a huge margin. THe advantage to flats is that they start out dead and stay that way. Duck Cunn hasnt changed his strings in 30 years.

If you are used to the top end ring stay with roundwounds.

Roundwounds will loose their brightness you may want to spend the extra and try the coated roundwounds they are slightly less bright but will hold their tone longer...it is pretty much 6 of one half dozen of the other between the coated and non coated...WIth the price difference I like the uncoated.

TentHunter

Great info, thanks. That's exactly what I was wondering, whether the flat wounds were brighter or duller sounding. I'll stick with what I bought and just restring a little more often! :D

Playing more with the middle school jazz bands really gives my fingertips a workout (although the callouses are built up fine now). Even though its middle school the 8th grade jazz band is actually a class, not extra curricular, so they rehearse every school day and are playing music beyond their age level. They actually have some gigs setup to play at restaurants and such.

Last edited:

Jessie

I still own all of my Beatles cassette tapes and my yellow Walkman that I played them in from when I was a kid (I wasn't allowed to touch grandpa's vinyl).

As far as music goes, The Fab Four were my first love.

5 Hole

Has anyone seen the Cirque du Soleil show Love? Next time you're in Vegas, do yourself a favor and check it out. Great Beatles experience.

Top Bottom