Brisket and butt for the Mak..what temp?

Matt Dalton

This will be the second cook on the new 2 star..I'm precooking a few butts and briskets tomorrow..just wanted to get a few pointers from you all and see how you guys do yours..we cook mostly on the whole hog but I don't want to fire it 2 days in a row if I don't have to..thanks.

FLBentRider

I usually do 2 to four hours on "smoke" and then 225F until the IT of 190-200F.

I'll do 235-250F if I'm in a hurry, but I find as the temp goes up the smoke goes down.

Phrett Bender

I like to start at 170° until intenal hits 110° or so, then go to 200° to internal at 160° or so, and then to 225° until done at the final IT of 195°, then foil and rest for an hour. If things are going slow or I kow it won't make dinner I'll pop up to 225° at any point and foil to done IT and rest. For both butts and brisket I've found the foil rest time makes a nice difference in moisture content as it allows many of the juices to reabsorb back iuto the meat and not flow out when cut or pulled.

MAK DADDY

I cook at 225 until IT 165, foil and bump to 250 until IT 195.
If you choose to ramp up or down set a user program to do it for you and have fun while the MAK does the work :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah MAtt I know one major cook with a fec 100 puts smoke on it for two hours I would do the same and foil where Bob says

HoDeDo

Probably depends on how long you want it to cook, and your game plan for it...
Two methods that work equally well, one gets more "pink", one gets more developed bark:
Method 1:
Start at 180 - 2hrs, then 200, 4 hrs... Wrap(meat is roughly 160 deg.) then post wrapping kick up to 230. Total cook time is roughly 10 hrs.

Method 2:
Set cook temp to 265 and let her ride!!! once it is at the color you like, wrap (having not cooked on a MAK yet, I dont have a rough timeline to share-on my CS, or on an FE is it roughly 4 hrs til wrap.) Roughly 3 more hours and you should be done.

BradT

I have done some nice ones in a pan with an hour of smoke then cook at 275 and foil at color. My other suggestion would be to leave as much fat on it as you can and cook it point up. Give it an hour of smoke then cook at 225-250 separate and foil at color.

KyNola

Foil Towel Cooler. Wrap the butt in two layers of foil. Wrap that in a heavy towel and place in a cooler(no ice) or in a microwave oven(don't turn it on). Will keep the butt warm for hours and helps to trap the moisture in the meat. Works great on a brisket too.

squirtthecat

Ditto to Larry's comment. The 'FTC' time really helps.. I cheat a bit and put the butts out of the smoker in foil pans (1/2 sheet pans work great) and cover that tight with foil. Into some OmahaSteak (hopefully Big Poppa's Meat Locker soon!) heavy foam coolers and pile some towels on. Keeps them smokin' hot for hours. Same with briskets (except bigger pans might be required), poultry (note that this process will get the skin rubbery - so watch out for that), pork loins, etc.

Note: Use *old* towels. Not the ones out of the guest bathroom.... ;)

MAK DADDY

I skip the towel part, seems to work great for me and the laundry :)
I was amazed when Chris from the Smokin Yankees showed me this, coolers work better keeping stuff ho than they do keeping it cold!
Stays piping hot for 4 to 6 hours!

Matt Dalton

here are a couple of pics of the cook..I ended up ramping up to 325 after about 2 hours on smoke..great color and nice bark
e67d25f2.jpg

8e0429a3.jpg

1bb79204.jpg

95576bbe.jpg

sorry these aren't the best pics but was too busy to bust out the good camera..thanks again to all of you for your input!

Top Bottom