Contest Friday The Thirteenth! Whooopeeee!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Come on lets get cooking! The last few weeks were down to winter level of entries.

Pull out your A game and bring it on

First place $25.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15.00 Store Credit To Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10.00 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 store credit for everyone else that enters

Wing Commander

Feta-Fatty

I had some feta left-overs, so I made a fatty from it with bruschetta spread. Plated up with some mediterranean rice and a tomato sauce and some oysters as a starter. Not too many words, here are some pics:

DSC04702.JPG

DSC04703.JPG

DSC04704.JPG

DSC04705.JPG

DSC04707.JPG

DSC04709.JPG

DSC04711.JPG

DSC04712.JPG

DSC04717.JPG

DSC04715.JPG

muebe

Started with chicken legs. Pulled back the skin...

IMAG2166.jpg

Then dusted with Tatonka dust...

IMAG2167.jpg

Placed the skin back and a second dusting on the skin...

IMAG2168.jpg

All done and chicken into the fridge to get happy for a couple hours...

IMAG2169.jpg

Got some pulled pork out of the chest freezer...

IMAG2170.jpg

I chopped up the pulled pork to a fine texture...

IMAG2171.jpg

Now into a mixing bowl with an egg. Time to get the hands dirty...

IMAG2172.jpg

8 pulled pork balls rolled out...

IMAG2173.jpg

Covered the balls in a layer of Maple Pork Sausage...

IMAG2174.jpg

Finally coated with Super Pig Bacon Rub...

IMAG2175.jpg

continued...

muebe

Into the fridge to await their return to the grill...

IMAG2176.jpg

Fired up the Memphis with a setpoint of 275F and hopper loaded with Pecan. After preheating onto the grill...

IMAG2177.jpg

I smoked them until the largest leg of chicken read 150F IT. That was about 1 hour and 15 minutes....

IMAG2178.jpg

After that I pulled the balls out and upped the setpoint to 425F. I grilled the chicken for about 15 minutes more...

IMAG2179.jpg

They took on a real nice color with the Tatonka Dust...

IMAG2180.jpg

IMAG2181.jpg

IMAG2182.jpg

IMAG2183.jpg

continued...

muebe

I then put the balls back on the grill at 425F for 10 minutes to give them some color and render the fat in the sausage a little bit...

IMAG2185.jpg

After 10 minutes I pulled them off the grill...

IMAG2186.jpg

IMAG2187.jpg

Then I made a Balsamic Vinegar Glaze using brown sugar and heating until thickened...

IMAG2188.jpg

continued...

muebe

Chicken and balls plated with rice. I drizzled the balls with the glaze...

IMAG2189.jpg

IMAG2190.jpg

IMAG2191.jpg

IMAG2192.jpg

The pulled pork balls were better than I expected. Even though the pulled pork was already cooked and previously frozen it was still very moist. I liked how the Balsamic vinegar paired with the maple sausage and how the rice absorbed the vinegar.

The Tatonka Dust on the chicken was really good. It almost gave it a rotisserie chicken flavor. There is also just a slight amount of heat with the dust. It is a keeper :)

RickB

Steak Taco’s with Guacamole and Black Beans Part 1

Let’s get the Guac going

IMG_0512.jpg

Put it all tighter and chill

Now the Flat Iron Steak

IMG_0521.jpg

Let’s do a little homemade salsa

IMG_0513.jpg

Let’s not forget the black beans

IMG_0515.jpg

A few veggies for the tacos

IMG_0524.jpg

Time to cook. Steak on to medium rare.

IMG_0539.jpg

Yea it’s done

IMG_0540.jpg

Add a little Mexican rice and some corn to the black beans. Some Mexican Crema and queso fresco and we got a meal! Let’s plate it up!

IMG_0543.jpg

Tasted mo better..but wait no desert?

Don’t think so Tim.

Part 2 coming

RickB

Steak Taco’s part 2

Yea I said a little dessert. It’s harvest time in the peach state so how about a little Peach and Blueberry Galette. Deb inspired me to try this with that berry pie!

Roll out some puff pastry to about 12 inches.

IMG_0636.jpg

Slice some Georgia peaches and add some blue berries. Add sugar,lemon juice and a little corn starch if they are real juicy. Arrange the peaches.

IMG_0637.jpg

Pull the edges of the puff pastry up and crimp. Add the Blueberries. A little egg wash on the puff pastry

IMG_0641.jpg

Onto the Mak at 375 for 30 minutes

IMG_0642.jpg

Glaze the fruit with some apricot preserves thinned with a little water

Oh yea baby.. Grandma never did it this good!

IMG_0649.jpg

Enjoy!

Chili Head

Apricot chili glazed and apple moonshine glazed pork loins.

First up I made a rub for the apricot chili loin.

1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/4 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

I put the spices in a bag and mixed em up then put a loin in the bag and shook it until the loin was covered. I then let it sit in the fridge a couple hours.

46e1a918-267f-0393.jpg

Onto the apricot glaze.

3/4 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup barbeque sauce ..I used blues hog.
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime

I melted the apricot preserves on stove top over medium heat. When the preserves were hot i add all other ingredients and cooked it on low for a few minutes or so. I had intended on using dried apricots but changed my mind and used apricot preserves instead.

46e1a918-28af-009d.jpg

Now for the apple moonshine glaze.

I used a 10 oz. jar of moonshine jelly we got from the wife's cousin who lives in georgia.
8 oz Midnight Moon Apple Pie Moonshine
1 granny smith apple peeled & grated

I reduced this down over medium heat and used half for a marinade and the other half for a glaze while cooking.

46e1a918-29e4-57c5.jpg

46e1a918-29d2-b295.jpg

The loins have been in the fridge for over an hour so its time for them to go in the smoker. These were cooked at 380 degrees using BBQ Delight apple. It actually rained here today and hard at that so I moved the MAK into the porch as a precaution.
46e1a918-300f-805f.jpg

46e1a918-30aa-b493.jpg

46e1a918-30bd-769e.jpg

Flip Flip..
46e1a918-30e5-9e57.jpg

I did a side dish of twice baked yams to go with the loins.

2 baked yams
1 Granny Smith apple peeled & diced
1/4 cup pecans
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp margarine

Continued..

Chili Head

I scooped out the yams into a bowl and mixed it with all the other ingredients. After mixing thoroughly I refilled the yam peels. They then went into the smoker at 380 degrees until hot.

46e1a918-3244-5378.jpg

46e1a918-329c-4ddb.jpg

46e1a918-2ea6-ef03.jpg

At 145 IT the loins came off and the yams were hot. You know what that means! Time to eat!

After a short rest under a foil tent the loins were sliced. A bottle of blush went very well with the loins and yams.
There was some of each glaze to dip in and a mixed greens salad as well.

46e1a918-33e7-021b.jpg

46e1a918-344d-82db.jpg

46e1a918-3462-947b.jpg

46e1a918-3472-6761.jpg

My plate..
46e1a918-34bb-9a0a.jpg

Her plate..
46e1a918-34f2-8bc0.jpg

Oh no we're not done yet!

Continued..

Chili Head

About a year ago I saw some cup cakes on the internet I wanted to try. Check these out!

I used a dark chocolate cake mix for these.
46e1a918-36a0-4bd3.jpg

Whirrrr splatter splatter splatter. I'll be finding cake batter splattered around for a month!
46e1a918-36af-94d3.jpg

I filled some cups and put the rest in a tin to bake.
46e1a918-36fa-9080.jpg

Into the MAK at 375 for about 16 minutes.
46e1a918-372a-bcd3.jpg

There done and cooling now.
46e1a918-3789-2acc.jpg

Time to decorate. I made these to look like grills with meat! Cool huh?
I used hot tamales for the dogs, pieces of candy fruit slices and pieces of carmel creams for the kabobs, carmel creams for the chops and Swedish fish obviously for fish!
I used red crystalized sugar for the coals and a mix of white and black icing for the grates.
46e1a918-387c-45e0.jpg

46e1a918-3888-7ee3.jpg

46e1a918-3a5b-dd09.jpg

I had a cup cake with a cup of coffee. Dark chocolate and coffee are a match made in heaven!

46e1a918-39cb-33f0.jpg

46e1a918-39d9-dc76.jpg

It's been awhile since I cooked a pork loin and I was somewhat apprehensive about trying the moonshine glaze on it because i didnt want to ruin it. But you never know until you try right? Wow I'm glad I did! The moonshine jelly and apple pie moonshine makes an awesome glaze! Of course the alcohol was cooked out of it but I thought it might still have that alcohol taste once the loin was done.
It had no alcohol taste at all..it had a fruity apple cinimon aroma and taste. It was very nice and we both liked it a lot.
The apricot chili glaze was equally as good! The apricot preserves compliments the blues hog sauce nicely. I don't cook fruity type meals very often and it was a nice change of pace. I need to do cooks like this more often with different fruit.

The dessert cup cakes were good! I don't have much to say about those except they look cool and they were moist and yummy!

dpom

I'm glad I'm not a judge this week! I can't believe what great ideas everyone comes up with. Great job on prep and grill, but over the top on creativity. thanks for sharing!!

Wing Commander

Jamaican Jerk pork, seafood and a sweet kind of pizza

This week I tried again Jamaican Jerk pork, but this time with 2 habaneros and 3 small jalapenos. I smoked it for 5 hours on my offset-smoker with apple- and hickory-woodchips at 230F and finished it at 350F on the Louisiana Kentwood.

As I started the JJP looked like that...

DSC04718.JPG

Oh, I forgot to tell that I had 6 guests, and I started with a quesadilla with scllions and some tomato-mozarella-kabobs.

DSC04721.JPG

DSC04722.JPG

DSC04724.JPG

DSC04720.JPG

Next I made some seafood: salmon, cod wrapped in pesto and serrano-ham, bellpepper stuffed with a cream of goat cheese and chopped shrimps wrapped in bacon, scampi-kabobs, salsola and mediterranean rice.

DSC04728.JPG

DSC04730.JPG

DSC04731.JPG

Inbetween the JJP looked like that:

DSC04729.JPG

Wing Commander

Jamaican Jerk pork, seafood and a sweet kind of pizza

Then I seared bell peppers on the Louisiana Kentwood while I prepared diced potatoes on the Louisiana CS-450.

DSC04736.JPG

DSC04744.JPG

DSC04742.JPG

After reaching an IT of 160F I pulled the JJP, sliced and plated it up with the peperonata and the diced potatoes:

DSC04743.JPG

DSC04746.JPG

DSC04749.JPG

For dessert I made Pizza Napoli: Instead of tomato- I used strawberry-sauce, instead of mozarella I took lychees and mint-leaf instead of basil - served upon a tortilla with pecannut icecream:

DSC04752.JPG

DSC04753.JPG

DSC04754.JPG

DSC04755.JPG

Tatonka3A2

Fajita Style Kabobs

Wanted to try a little something different and thought about fajitas but I didn't have the regular fixin's for those so lets do something different....

Main players

All lined up

Seasoned with a little fajita rub

Getting Smoke

Almost time to get wrapped

Took a tortilla shell added some shredded cheese and salsa, then added some fajita flavored rice, then topped with the kabob.

I seem to have forgotten the last pic of it all rolled up... but you can picture the tortilla rolled. I did add a little more salsa and sour cream too.

This worked out really great, just slide the kabob stick out on top of the tortilla and you are ready to roll. I think this would work great for a camping trip too, you could have everything prepped and ready to grill. My kabob sticks were a little large for my shells so next time I will not add as much on them.

FLBentRider

Lamb Chops ala MAK

I made a paste of fresh Rosemary. Fresh thyme, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and olive oil in the food processor.

Using this as a marinade, I coated the chops and left them in the fridge for a couple of hours.
DSC_2686.jpg

The maiden voyage of my MAK griddle
DSC_2689.jpg

On @350F
DSC_2690.jpg

IT 135F, time to rest
DSC_2691.jpg

Looking good
DSC_2692.jpg

The Mrs made roasted broccolli with smashed garlic
DSC_2693.jpg

Plated
DSC_2695.jpg

DSC_2694.jpg

Served with mint jelly on the side. Everyone liked the lamb, and said to not steam the broccolli again.
Overall a great meal, we will be doing this again. The griddle worked great!

Scallywag

My Friday the 13th
Played two huge show's this weekend.. first one was Friday the 13th in Port Dover, it is the biggest biker weekend in Canada and attracts over 250,000 people to a small town that only has 12,000 living in it. It is an honor that we are asked to play there every year.. it was hotter then hells kitchen this year but loads of fun! Played Sat night at Sherkston Shores resort and needless to say I'm dehydrated and whopped. So coked a simple dinner.
Chicken thighs taters, asparagus and corn.
Starts like this

Smokinman88

Friday the 13th weekend cook. This was my first brisket on the Mak and it turned out great, I was a little surprised that the smoke ring was not more pronounced but the flavor and moisture was fantastic! We had the whole family over for the wife's B-day and they all loved it. Happy B-day to my lovely wife Deb! :)

Brisket1.jpg

Brisket before trimming.
Brisket2.jpg

All trimmed, injected with apple juice and beef broth and a home made rub.
Brisket3.jpg

5:30 am 6 hours in and looking good, the Amaze-n-smoker tube works great!
Brisket4.jpg

13.5 hours and she finally hits temp and is ready to rest.
Brisket5.jpg

Moist and juicy, great flavor.
Brisket6.jpg

All sliced up and ready to serve, the vultures were circling :)
Brisket7.jpg

The wife's b-day dinner with homemade mac & cheese on the Mak.
Brisket8.jpg

The finished product and it was delicious.

Top Bottom