Stuffing?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I always make a different stuffing...My wife likes the traditional boxed ones....

My last two have been

A sourdough Linguica and Pineapple

and last years was a sausage with smoked jalapenos...that was the big winner....

How about you?

firehouse_bbq

I make stuffin muffins. I like chorizo stuffing with bacon. Make up the stuffin like normal, then put it in large cupcake tins. Make serving easy, each person gets a muffin :D

TentHunter

Oooh, I love sausage stuffing, and jalapenos! I'll be doing a Corn bread & sausage stuffing per my sister's request.

Firehouse, those Stuffin Muffins are a great idea! Never seen them before.

Maybe I'll reserve some of the Cornbread Sausage stuffing and combine the two ideas: Corn bread-Sausage-jalapeno-Stuffin muffins.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the key to the jalapenos is to seed them and scrape the insides lightly and smoke and when soft dice and sautee with the diced sweet red pepper and sweet onion when it is translucent add some garlic...cant go wrong with that! Pete Ive made chorizo too love it

TentHunter

the key to the jalapenos is to seed them and scrape the insides lightly and smoke and when soft...

Smoking jalapenos (or sweet reds) 'till soft... oooh, just reading that I'm starting to shake with anticipation. I LOVE the flavor and smell of smoked peppers!

CarterQ

I usually go with my Mom's recipe, just a basic old school bread stuffing recipe straight out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. This just tastes like our family thanksgivings when I was a kid and now that Dad's gone and mom can't cook any more it's one of those connections you keep.

TentHunter

...and now that Dad's gone and mom can't cook any more it's one of those connections you keep.

Fully understood. I can still here my dad say, "My favorite piece of chicken is the one in the middle of the platter and I eat 'till I get to it."

No better way to remember than food!

KyNola

A very thick moist oyster dressing at my house. MrsKyNola's grandmother was Pennsylvania Dutch. The recipe has been handed down to my wife and she duplicates it to the letter.

Big Poppa

Administrator
wow how about that recipe? Carter What I find fun is to have the steady eddie (not eddy.....hahahaha) and then a wild card...its fun

Deb

This weekend I'll make stuffing bread - white whole wheat flour, sesame seeds, cornmeal, poultry seasoning. I'll cube and dry it then make the stuffing with onions, celery, the stock that I made a few weeks ago and throw some dried cranberries in. Nothing super exciting.

TentHunter

From another thread:
TURKEY STUFFING
What do you do?
Stovetop?
Dressing cooked in bird?

Edit: Trooper, I hope I'm understanding the context of your question otherwise ignore this post! :p

Some folks like to stuff the bird, some don't. I don't because stuffing the bird adds cook time which can translate to a dryer turkey (But that's just my opinion).

Stuffing is easy to make - hard to mess up:

Tear or cube a loaf (or more) of bread. Chop & saute some veggies (onion, celery, carrot) season with salt, pepper, sage (or poultry seasoning) & whatever other herbs you like. Beat a couple eggs, add to the bread and toss. Add the sauteed veggies & a little turkey or chicken stock & toss again. Keep adding small amounts of stock until the mix is very moist but not soggy. Fill a baking dish & bake (preferably in your smoker) for 30 - 45 minutes or longer (depending on pit temp) just don't burn it.

Last and most important... Read through this thread for ideas or add anything else you think you might like and enjoy your own stuffing creation!

Post some pics of what you came up with! :)

Last edited:

rbaggett

Cornbread stuffing is the only way. Don't forget to add those turkey parts you removed before cooking began. Also, add Turkey drippings. celery is key. michelle makes me do one with celery and one without (she doesn't like celery, go figure)

Ssteppe

I'm not fond of cornbread dressing. I cube white bread and let it sit overnight to dry out a bit. I like a variety of dressings (sausage, cranberry, etc.), but my family wants me to keep it simple: celery, onions, butter, eggs, broth, salt, pepper, sage, poultry seasoning, and some of the turkey meat (I never measure. I taste as I go, adding the eggs last). I make two pans - one with oysters and mushrooms and one without.
We like it a little crusty on top, but still moist inside.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I use sourdough, roasted garlic loaves, kings hawaiian sweet bread....I am always experimenting....aws long as one tin has Mrs Cubbisons for my wife....

Top Bottom