Smoked Italian Sausage

TentHunter

I love curing & smoking Kielbasa & Andouille, but I've been wanting to try some Italian sausages smoked.

Here we go...

Hog casings soaking in filtered water and a bit of vinegar.
ITSS01.JPG

Seasonings mixed: Fennel Seed, Red Pepper, Sage & Salt. Since these will be cold-smoked I added the proper amount of Curing Salt #1 to cure them.
ITSS02.JPG

Mix with some water to dissolve the salt & cure, then pour all over the meat & mix thoroughly.
ITSS03.JPG

Stuff into the casing, twist into links, then into the fridge for 24 - 48 hours of curing.
ITSS04.JPG

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Chili Head

Yeah buddy! I've been itch'n to break out my stuffer too. I've never cold smoked sausage though..I'll be watching this.

ACW3

Lookin' good Cliff!! While I haven't made any new sausage (and made a mess in the kitchen with my stuffer), I am getting ready to break out about seven pounds of homemade brats that I made and smoked a while back. It is my turn to host our neighborhood cornhole tournament. I'll just thaw and get some grill marks on them and then serve with some onions, peppers, a little kraut on the side, several types of mustard, and a realtively new item (to me anyway), Slawsa. This is good stuff. Kind of a cross between coleslaw and salsa, hence the name. I have used it one hotdogs and even pulled pork sammies. IF you can find it, give it a try.

Art

TentHunter

Yeah buddy! I've been itch'n to break out my stuffer too. I've never cold smoked sausage though..I'll be watching this.

With your tube Smoker, you now have everything you need equipment wise. All that's left is to get some recipes, some curing salt and git-r-done!

Art, The Slawsa looks like something I'd really like. If it's as good as folks are saying it won't be long until it's in our area!

TentHunter

Done!

Friday afternoon turned out to be perfect for cold smoking. We got a much needed break from the high heat. It was slightly overcast with occasional rain and in the 70's.

The A-Maze-N Tube Smoker was filled with some Cherry pellets, lit and set it in the MAK.
ITSS05.JPG

Hang the sausage on my prototype hangers and let 'em catch some smoke for a few hours.
ITSS06.JPG

That tube smoker puts out plenty of smoke!
ITSS07.JPG

Getting some color after a few hours. Time to fire up the MAK into smoke mode for some hot smoke.
ITSS08.JPG

Almost done...
ITSS09.JPG

Done and put in an ice water bath to stop cooking. We kept two pounds out for supper (Yum!).
ITSS10.JPG

Out of the water bath, dried off and ready to go in the fridge overnight.
ITSS11.JPG

The other two pounds of the sausage is done... TIME TO EAT!

A little marinara, grilled onions & roasted red pepper... supper was good!
ITSS12.JPG

After cooling in the fridge overnight.
ITSS13.JPG

Wow is this sausage good! It has that classic Italian hint of sweetness from the fennel, an ever so slight kick from the red pepper, and the smoke just sets it off. I may very well have a new favorite smoked sausage! ;)

Thanks for looking everyone!

Cliff

Last edited:
Top Bottom