How much of the Thanksgiving Cooking are you doing this year?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im doing a spatchcock on the one star, two panned turkeys on the Two Star, One turkey on the Hasty bake rotisserie...Going to make two kinds of cranberry sauce...and two stuffings.....

SisInLaw

Let's have your best cranberry sauce recipe, Poppa. Also I'm looking for a really good vegetable casserole dish.

TentHunter

Sounds like you'll have a houseful & quite a feast BP.

Normally my younger brother, who's an exective chef, my mom, my wife & I share the cooking for our extended family (mom, brothers, sister, spouses, niece/nephew). But this year my bro can't devote the time needed, the wife has to work the evening before, so I get to do the majority of the cooking.

Spatchcocking a turkey (maybe two), two stuffings (one is a cornbread & sausage stuffing), homemade cran-apple-orange sauce, mashed taters, either twice baked sweet taters or a mashed sweet tater casserole, green beans with smoked bacon, homemade stock & gravy. Most of this will be done on the smoker.

I enjoy cooking, so I'm really looking forward to it... especially spatchcocking & smoking the turkey(s).

Big Poppa

Administrator
really try the smoked and diced jalapenos...here was a another little secret....I put shelled pistachios in it too......I like to throw curveballs with the stuffing..one year I snuck cashews in one.

Actually this year is disappointingly small...But I am going to pretend that it is big and wow you guys with leftover recipes

squirtthecat

I'm taking a turkey 'boulder', some pulled pork and probably a smoked ham up to my Mom & Dad's for Thanksgiving. (maybe some brisket if we have any left over after this weekend)

Cooking it all this weekend and will vacuum seal.

Candy Sue

I only cook desserts, SIL does the rest. Sugar-free Pumpkin Pie is required and I'll do another that the folks that don't eat pumpkin pie will want. Probably chocolate chunk cookies.

CarterQ

My wifes side of the family is at our house this year so we have the whole thing to cook. Doing Turkey on the MAK (first time so I'm a little nervous here), orange brandy cranberry sauce, a traditional stuffing, mashed taters and gravy, Linguica and green beans (for the portuguese side), some sort of salad, candied yams (which my wife and I absolutely hate! so finding a good recipe will be interesting!), and then a pumpkin pie and a cherry pie. Lot of work but we love having everyone over and cooking the feast.

Red

Ah my favorite holiday of the year is upon us. I really do love cooking a Thanksgiving feast... After the spatchcock turkey Big Poppa cooked for the BPS team at the Lancaster competition I think that is the only way to go (I bet I can get the competition mak out of the building without anyone noticing...). Mrs. Red is still pulling for my usual pomegranate brined rotisserie turkey (cooked on an upright drum), so I just might have to do two. My other specialties on the Thanksgiving table will be bacon wrapped fresh green beans, homemade cranberry sauce, sausage dressing, Mrs. Red's amazing twice baked potatoes, and for desert I think I just might try one of the pumpkin bread puddings I have been hearing so much about. If that fails we will have some of the amazing apple and pumpkin pies cooked by Dan, I think I usually polish off one of his apple pies by myself every year.

SmokinMAK

Unfortunately, none. Going to the Mother-in-law's house for Turkey day, and she does it all.

But I will smoke a turkey when I get back. Gotta have some leftovers!!

Pete

I'm doing a dance of joy because Thanksgiving isn't at my place - traveling to father-in-law's place in southern CT.

Edit to add: It's probably a good thing for my relatives that I'm not cooking - might wind up having lion on the plate instead of turkey!

Last edited:

BigBountyBBQ

I'll be putting a little spin on our Tgiving this year. I'll be smoking a couple of fatties, I'm planning to use ground turkey (with a litte pork mixed in) a wild rice stuffing with a bourbon cranberry sauce...should be good

Deb

I do all the cooking and keep it fairly traditional but it's all homemade. I'll be doing a spatchcocked turkey with possibly a cider glaze. Stuffing is done with homemade stuffing bread - it has some cornmeal, sesame seeds & poultry seasoning in it -, onions, celery & dried cranberries. Three breads - butter dipped rolls, a wheat roll with cranberries & pecans and cornbread. Two cranberry sauces - I have already done cran-blueberry and I think the other will be cran-pear. Not sure on desserts - I do have to do a requested chocolate cream pie, maybe a pumpkin swirl cheesecake and at least one other. There's more but I'm away and don't have my spreadsheet with me.

rbaggett

Sorry Sterling only one smoker in PB where I will spatchcock a 16 pounder . Can you take care of this. Michelle said no more. I doing another 16 pounder on my new "Big Easy" no oil infra-red.

Top Bottom