Turkey yak

Trooper

OK! It's time to get a turkey topic going to get us ready for the Holidays.

I got the green light to do my first Turkey in the MAK. I view my chicken skills as mediocre, but I'm doing it anyway.

This is what I'm thinking. Small (hen) turkey. If I can get one without a 8% soultion already injected, I'll go for it, and brine it. If it's been injected 8%, not brining.

I'll want to keep it somewhat simple. Maybe some poulty seasoning on the exterior and in cavity. Carrots/onion/celery/butter in cavity. Dressing done on stove. Spray exterior with PAM. Probe in deepest part of breast. PerfectMix pellets.

Carry me from there. Shallow pan?Time?Temp?IT temp?
Any other comments? - Bring it on!

TTNuge

I got a turkey in the freezer and the spatchcocked turkey sounds good. Then again I got a new Big Easy that I want to try one in too. Maybe a combination of both....

Trooper

Well, hush my puppies. I did it again.
Started a new topic without checking far enough back into the existing ones.
There already was enough turkey info already being posted on Turkey Day by rbaggett
Gotta start paying attention & stop being such a turkey, eh?
Just make your comments on that topic.

rbaggett

I got a turkey in the freezer and the spatchcocked turkey sounds good. Then again I got a new Big Easy that I want to try one in too. Maybe a combination of both....

Doing a Big Easy today as practice. Brined overnight. I have done two spatchcocks. First one, not so good. Second one much better. Some people said best turkey they have had. juicy.

rbaggett

The Big Easy is easy. All you do is brine a 16lb. bird overnight. Place bird in the Big Easy cage and turn the Big Easy on. In about 2 1/2 when bird temp is at 163 turn off Big Easy and left bird rest in cage for 15 minutes as Big Easy cools down, No monitoring is necessary. Drippings are good and easy. Handling is easy. Cleaning is easy. The bird was very good. This will be a good second bird for Thanksgiving, along with a spatchcocked 16lber. on the Memphis Pro. It's easy.

Top Bottom