fridays contest...lets see if we can get 20 entries!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok you know the drill....cook something this weekend....use pellets...post here and I give you store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

1st place $25 store credit
second place $15 store credit
third place $10 store credit

everybody else gets 5 bucks in credit...BUT if we can get 20 entries Ill double it!

wneill20

Ok i will start, Muffin Pan Chicken Stacks with Squash Casserole.
The players.
players.jpg

Took some boneless chicken breast, bacon, bell pepper, onion and stack them in a muffin pan
1.jpg

Had to add some feta cheese
P7291109.jpg

Put a pice of chicken on the top and wrapped it with bacon
readyforsmoker.jpg

And the casserole layered squash,tomatoes,onions,cheese and yes bacon on top
Squash.jpg

On the smoker at 250
onthesmoker.jpg

After an hour take the chicken out of the pan and cook for an additional 45 minutes
almostdone.jpg

My plate, The wife loves this dinner
myplate.jpg

KyNola

Late entry but here it is. Grilled Marinated Portobello Mushroom Salad.
We start by marinating portobello mushrooms in a marinade of extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, chopped garlic, chopped basil, salt and pepper. The marinade will turn the mushrooms a little dark due to the acidity.
DSCN0655.jpg

Next into a 400 degree grill, 8 minutes on each side.
DSCN0656.jpg

2 mushrooms into a bowl after grilling. Not all that pretty but oh so delicious.
DSCN0657.jpg

Crowning touch. Butter lettuce, blueberries, pecan halves and shaved parmesan cheese.
DSCN0659.jpg

The salad dressing is the excess marinade with a bit of balsamic vinegar added so the flavor of the marinated mushroom is throughout the salad.

Thanks for looking.

PaulyT

Not even gonna pretend to compete with you guys and gals, but I'll participate in order to contribute towards the 20 entries. :p

Going simple tonight, trying my first beer can chicken ever.

Starting out, brined for 3 hrs in sea salt with a tiny bit of BP pepper garlic salt added. Half a can of beer with a shot of tequila.

DSC0963-L.jpg

Rubbed with EVOO, butter, and BP Money.

DSC0964-L.jpg

On the grill @ 325 with bbq delight mesquite pellets.

DSC0965-L.jpg

Done, about 2 hours later:

DSC0967-L.jpg

Sorry, my carving skills suck, my knife's not great, and this chicken was so tender it was hard to cut without it just falling apart.

DSC0969-L.jpg

Verdict: yummy! The skin and dark meat were fantastic. The breast was a tiny bit on the dry side, probably coulda pulled it a little earlier, but it was still tender; I'm not a huge fan of chicken white meat anyway so I'm not the best judge. My cat loved it. ;) I didn't even make it to the table, just sat at the counter and ate. Kids got their drumsticks, wife got her mixed plate - everyone was happy.

So, nothing ground-breaking here, just simple good chicken. Definitely a step above your usual store roasted whole chickens, at least!

FLBentRider

Six racks three ways

I started with six racks of baby backs from Sams Club
DSC_2738.jpg

Removed the membrane, trimmed the excess fat and rubbed down with Salt, pepper, garlic.

Onto MAK 2 star #106 with BD Oak @225F, this pic is about halfway through the first three hours
DSC_2740.jpg

I decided to play with some alternative flavors in the foil love.

Butter and pineapple preserves
DSC_2742.jpg

Butter and raspberry preserves
DSC_2743.jpg

The third flavor was "the standard" Butter, brown sugar and honey

I poured the drippings into three separate pots
DSC_2747.jpg

Ran them through the fat separator
DSC_2748.jpg

I added a splash of wine and reduced the sauces down.

time to eat

Pineapple
DSC_2750.jpg

Raspberry
DSC_2751.jpg

The family liked the alternative flavors, but the telling sign is that there were much less of the "standard" ribs left over. Next time I will add some chipolte peppers to the jam.

sparky

party ribs

welp, my wife got invited to a party this afternoon w/ her work (i don't have to go. i'm not corporate enough. apparently i say the wrong things to the wrong ppl). she offered up my services to cook some ribs. well, to make a long story short. Yip-pie. i don't have to go and i got the house to myself.

and away we go......set Lucile to 250°.

6 racks, 3 ways. 1 pair soileau's, 1 pair SM pecan & 1 pair SM seasoning salt.

party055.jpg

were looking good.

party060.jpg

2 1/2 hours later. very nice color.

party064.jpg

party time.

party071.jpg

hour later. oh my.

party074.jpg

2 racks got pineapple peller jelly (love this stuff, glad i bought 16 jars).

party086.jpg

some of my wife co-workers like spicy stuff. i got this. 2/3 cup chili oil (seeds and all) & 1/3 cup 4 men & pig spicy sauce. i put my finger in it. very, very hot. then i put some cayannee in after that. i'll fix your little hot wagon for ya.

party081.jpg

were done. time to wrap up.

party092.jpg

the spicy ones. he he......

party093.jpg

packed up and wanting for the cambo.

party104.jpg

its ok honey. you can take my truck w/ the cambo in the back. its all good. cya later dear.

Last edited:

Chili Head

Meatloaf with mushroom sauce and roasted smashed potatoes.

Most of the players.
46e1b0c5-e075-766a.jpg

I mixed up 2 pounds of ground beef and 1 pound of pork with some onion powder, 2 eggs, 20 crushed up saltines, 1 tablespoon of soileaus seasoning and some black pepper.
46e1b0c5-e123-373c.jpg

Mixed up and formed with a couple slices of green pepper on top. Into the MAK at 380 burning a 50/50 mix of oak and wine soaked oak BBQ delight pellets. This is going to cook for an hour or until 165 degrees.
46e1b0c5-e18b-6fa7.jpg

46e1b0c5-e1da-70db.jpg

While the meatloaf was smoking I got the mushrooms washed and sliced and made the sauce. I also boiled the potatoes until almost done. I chopped up a fresh sprig of rosemary for the sauce as well. I used beef broth, heavy cream, salt and pepper, rosemary, whole wheat flour and mushrooms in the sauce.

46e1b0c5-ea80-fe32.jpg

46e1b0c5-eb3d-bde5.jpg

46e1b0c5-ea95-7256.jpg

46e1b0c5-ead1-f46f.jpg

46e1b0c5-eae7-bfea.jpg

46e1b0c5-eafd-640f.jpg

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

Once the meatloaf was done I put it in the sauce, spooned some sauce on top then put it back into the Mack for about 45 minutes.

46e1b0c5-ebaa-47a2.jpg

46e1b0c5-ebb8-f172.jpg

I smashed the potatoes and seasoned them with salt and pepper and those went into the MAK as well to get brown and crispy.

46e1b0c5-ec0b-43c2.jpg

46e1b0c5-ec1c-1967.jpg

46e1b0c5-ec34-9b11.jpg

After awhile here is the flipage of the taters. These need another 20-30 minutes.

46e1b0c5-ec6b-a7e9.jpg

Everything is about done so I put in some dinner rolls.

46e1b0c5-ecd7-3d93.jpg

It's done!

46e1b0c5-ed04-023f.jpg

46e1b0c5-ed39-ddce.jpg

46e1b0c5-ed45-b53a.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

Here we have it plated up.

46e1b0c5-eddc-721c.jpg

46e1b0c5-edf7-7031.jpg

One word to describe this..delicious!
It would be just as good without the mushrooms too i think. The meatloaf held together good and wasn't dry or crumbly at all and had a great smoke flavor. The potatoes were tasty and a nice change from mashed potatoes. The wife loved it even with the soileaus in the meatloaf...there's hope for her yet!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

RickB

Roast Turkey with Turnip Mashed Potato’s and Glazed Carrots

Get a brine going for the Turkey

IMG_0453.jpg

Let cool and add the bird for a 8 hour brine

IMG_0459.jpg

Bird ready to roast. Add a little seasoning and onto the Mak

IMG_0467.jpg

Cook till about 165 IT

Let’s get to work on the sides.

Potatos First

IMG_0472.jpg

Cube turnip and potato. Boil till tender

IMG_0473.jpg

Add cream,butter,salt and pepper and whip well

IMG_0480.jpg

Onto the carrots.

IMG_0478.jpg

Glaze well and roast till tender.

IMG_0481.jpg

Continued

RickB

Roast Turkey Continued

Let’s finish it off with Jalapeno Chedder Cornbread

IMG_0476.jpg

Mix the dry then add the wet. Into the trusty Iron skillet to cook

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Make a Little pan gravy from the drippins

IMG_0486.jpg

Lets plate it up

IMG_0488.jpg

Enjoy!

squirtthecat

Sloppy Tatonkas

Ok, I had a bunch of grand things planned to cook this weekend, but we've got a flu bug working it's way around. And with 3 of us in 1500 sq/feet, it doesn't take long before 'tag, you're it!'

Let's go simple, shall we.. :eek:

The flavor elements.

IMGP1729.JPG

The star of the show. Grass fed Bison from Northern Wisconsin.

IMGP1732.JPG

MAK is cruising at 350°, and my old Griswold is pre-heated, and lubed with some Annie's Roasted Red Pepper OO. In goes the Bison, and a healthy shake or 3 of Tatonka Dust.

IMGP1734.JPG

This stuff is really lean, so it browns up quickly.

IMGP1739.JPG

Add the Cajun Power Garlic and a can of Manwich.

IMGP1740.JPG

I let it heat through for about 5 minutes, then dumped into my $12 crockpot to cruise along for the afternoon.

IMGP1743.JPG

Hammer time..

IMGP1772.JPG

PDG!

Now where did that can of Lysol go........

68sting

Well I did a chuck roast for the first time. I smoked it for about 5 hours and wrapped it in foil and juice for another hour or so. At 190 I took it off and put it in a cooler for two hours. It turned out ok but doesn't have the flavor I was hoping for. I've had my pellet smoker for less than a month and gone through over 60lbs of pellets with most everything coming out fantastic. This one just missed the mark. I used Bear Mountain pellets.

Picture392.jpg

Picture393.jpg

TentHunter

After several busy days of heat & humidity, it was sure nice to fire up the MAK for some easy classic summer fare.

So what do you do when big ripe locally grown tomatoes are in season at a great price?

BSLT01.JPG

Why, you make BLT's of course. Or, in this case... BSLT's

Bacon, Sausage, Lettuce & Tomato Sammies

2 pounds of thick cut Bacon and 1 1/2 lbs of homemade Breakfast Sausage on the MAK in smoke mode for a while...
BSLT02.JPG

then bumped to 300° until done.
BSLT03.JPG

I'll take mine on some rye bread please.
BSLT04.JPG

Perfect for a warm summer evening. Thanks for sneaking a peak!

Just Tri Tip

Nothing special today, just tri tip. Have a few "out of the box" ideas from vacation, but not ready from prime time yet! Started with a couple of choice tri tips from Costco with some Worcestershire for the glue and BPS Double Secret. On the MAK at 275°F:

IMG_4363-1.jpg

F
Flipped at 110°F or so:

IMG_4365-1.jpg

Pulled at about 147°F (a little after I wanted to):

IMG_4367-1.jpg

All plated up:

IMG_4372-1.jpg

Moomtaz

Nothing special today, just tri tip. Have a few "out of the box" ideas from vacation, but not ready from prime time yet! Started with a couple of choice tri tips from Costco with some Worcestershire for the glue and BPS Double Secret. On the MAK at 275°F:

IMG_4363-1.jpg

F
Flipped at 110°F or so:

IMG_4365-1.jpg

Pulled at about 147°F (a little after I wanted to):

IMG_4367-1.jpg

All plated up:

IMG_4372-1.jpg

Tell me about the salsa on your tri..sweet or spicy?. And about the tomatoes too, is that mozzarella or mushrooms? Kinda got a pseudo-bruschetta thing going' on

muebe

So there were a lot of great entries this time! It made the decision a little difficult but here we go...

First place is Chili Head- Meatloaf with mushroom sauce and roasted mashed potatoes. I love how you literally flattened out the potatoes and the mushroom sauce looked fantastic!

Second place is RickB- Roast Turkey with turnip mashed potatoe's and glazed carrots. That corn bread looks amazing and the glazed carrots look good too.

Third place is Wneill20- Muffin Pan Chicken Stacks with Squash Casserole. Plenty of bacon and I love the use of Feta and Blue cheese.

Thanks to everyone who entered ;)

Top Bottom