Those Lil' Rack o' Lambs from Trader Joes?

SisInLaw

Those Lil' Rack o' Lambs from Trader Joes? *update*

I'm thinking of buying up a bunch for Christmas brunch and making "lamp lollipops" out of them. You cut them into individual "pops" them marinade them in mirin, rosemary, garlic, etc etc then cook 'em up quick. This would be part of the larger meal or just an appy. I've made them for parties before and they're a big hit. Thoughts?

edit: might be a good idea to put them in the Reveo for a bit, too.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I actually like the ones at costco better....Also I cooke them whole and then slice them...either way Ill be there to critique your execution.

One year sis in law brought over steak tartare....I got a frying pan out and made sliders for me and the boys....she was not happy.

Ssteppe

I've purchased the little racks from Sam's Club before. I cooked them whole on a rotisserie - came out great.
If you're going to cut them first, then you'll greatly shorten the cooking time. (Don't know whether that's good or bad...)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah you will shorten the cooking time but I like the roasted juicyness and then if you want you can blast them quickly...

SisInLaw

*update*

Today I ran a test run on the rack o' lambs. I've made them before but it's been a couple of years. Can pics be uploaded to the site or do I need to find an image storing site?

Lamb Lollipops with mint cilantro pesto:

2 racks of lamb, trimmed and cut into chops

Marinade:

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Mirin (cheap sweet Japanese wine)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 1/2 t dried red chili flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced

Pesto

1/2 cup EACH of cilantro, parsley, mint and sliced scallions
2 T rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 t sesame oil
1 T brown sugar
1 T garlic
1 T ginger
2 T toasted sesame seeds (I left these out)
vegetable oil
crushed chili flakes to taste

In your food processor, combine everything except the vegetable oil and puree. While machine is running slowly add vegetable oil until emulsified to desired consistency. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Set sauce aside.

Marinade the lamb: Mix together ingredients and our over lamb to marinade at least an hour. I put mine into a gallon sized ziplock baggie.

Grill the chops: Remove from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Season with S & P if desired and grill to medium rare about 3 minutes a side. (Mine took 3 minutes on one side and only two on the other for medium rare--emphasis on rare) Eat up, and dip into pesto. Yum. I stuffed myself.

Deb

Those sound great SIL! I really like the sounds of the Pesto.

I'm not sure if you can upload pics directly, I have always loaded mine up to photobucket.

SisInLaw

Thanks, Deb! They are great. Okay I'll try tinypic.

Here they are marinating:

jtnslk.jpg

and here cooking on my range top (I pretend it's a smoker)

vg259l.jpg

and here ready to dive in with the pesto!

2qxxpqq.jpg

jimsbarbecue

One year sis in law brought over steak tartare....I got a frying pan out and made sliders for me and the boys....she was not happy.

Like my one friend always says he will eat any sushi thats deep fried.

Top Bottom