Traeger and GMG Owners Speak up..lets talk

Big Poppa

Administrator
Lets hear some experiences and trick of the grills.....Come on dont be shy this is for you guys and gals too!

Deb

Traeger thanksgiving food prep will be happening later, I'll post pics of that. I'm working on my game plan right now

builder

I just purchased a Traeger yesterday and cooked steaks on it last night, they came out perfect. Today I am cooking an 18 lb Turkey and And trying to figure out cooking time and temp. the recipe book provided has all different durations. The outside air temp should be around 40 degrees all day... any ideas?

Ghenghis

Because of availability around my area, I'm seriosly looking at a Traeger. So I'm very curious to hear from some other owners.

rbaggett

I brought the smallest Traeger the other day. I plan to use it on my boat. It worked great. I got the upgrade digital control. It worked well. I cooked spare ribs at 250. Temp stayed constant for 4+ hours. Next time I will cook at 230. I have a Mak and a Mephis Pro also. The Traeger worked just a well. The little guy did a good job.

gc250

I bought a JR. Traeger in June. I have been cooking every thing on it. It is so easy to use and the food tastes great. We are doing a Cran-Pomegranate brined turkey breast for thanksgiving. Do a test bird tomorrow for dinner hope it turns out.

squirtthecat

I picked up my Lil' Tex 'gently used' last December. (from another PelletSmoking forum member) I've run the guts out of it, and it delivers each and every time. From 14 below zero to 110 in the shade. Just recently I had to replace the hotrod in it - otherwise no major problems at all.

Temperature swings? Sure, it has them... So does my house oven, my water heater, and my furnace. Some firebricks piled in the bottom helps flatten them out. (so does a full load of meat)

I'll have to go through my pictures to take a guess at how many pounds of pellets it has eaten since January 3rd.

nepas

I have a Lil'Tex also.

After getting my MAK i had to find another use for the Lil'guy.....HAHA

DSCF7532.jpg

Roguejim

Well, I don't have any tricks to divulge, but my Texas Elite has performed well for the 2 years that I've been bbqing. If I could make 2 changes, I would make it bigger, and it would have some sort of shelf attached around it to hold bottles/tools/brushes...

squirtthecat

I have the optional front shelf for the 070, (which is very handy when wrestling hot items out of the smoker) but it's major glitch is that it clips inside of the pit, so the lid doesn't close all the way with it on. So after I am done loading/unloading, I just take it off and set it underneath.

Beer & other stuff goes on the hopper lid. ;)

I have the hopper extender as well, and it is a godsend for overnight cooks. No worrying about the dreaded pellet 'cone' forming and the auger running dry while I'm sleeping.

Ghenghis

Ah, a hopper extender. NOW we're starting to cover the questions I have. So are those available to all traegers? Just specific models? I didn't see them on the website.

Will those 400 some odd square inch grills be big enought to do two racks of beef ribs? I'm seriously eyeing the BBQ075 (Texan ?) I like the size.

squirtthecat

I think Traeger discontinued the hopper extender. No idea why, but I got one of the last ones. If you know someone who can fab metal, it would be ridiculously easy to make. I can take some measurements of mine if anyone is interested.

I can squeeze quite a bit in my 070. Will post up a few pics shortly..

squirtthecat

Here is the optional expansion rack.. Would probably work for beef ribs. I really don't use it much anymore.

DSC00287.JPG

And here is one I cobbled together.

DSC01279.JPG

DSC01287.JPG

Almost 55 pounds of butts in one load! Boy did that ever make a mess..

Hopper extender in place.

DSC01297.JPG

It just fits over the existing hopper, and the lid rests (doesn't attach) on top. I put a brick on it to hold it in place for overnight smokes - in case the wind whips up.

The 070 has plenty of room for 3 'beer butt' chickens.

DSC01126.JPG

(the pan in front was a beer braise for some venison brats)

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, these are handy little shelves. They are magnetic, and the magnets are coated in plastic so they don't scratch the surface you stick them on.

DSC01127.JPG

jimtorl

My name is Jim and I am addicted to traeger smoking. Looked at them for several years and guess what Santa gave me one last year.
Christmas day 12 racks of ribs and have not stopped. I figured out today I have used 36 bags of pellets and was looking on line to buy a pallet and found this site. It's great to know I am not the only one addicted to smoking.

Top Bottom