My name is Ghenghis, and I WILL be a pellet smoker !!!

Ghenghis

Hiya all!! Just found this forum. Awesome site. Nice to be able to find a place for questions and answers.

First question: Are you guys brand loyal? I realize this is a sponsered thread/forum, and everyone raves about the MAK line. But, between where I live, and price for size, it just makes more sense for me to look into the Traeger line of pellet smokers.

There's a distributor only a half hour from where I live.

I'll leaver it at that, for now. And see how the responses look. I'm dead set on curing and smoking on a pellet burner inside of 2 months. So any info/input would be immensely appreciated.

Tanx again.

KyNola

Welcome to the forum. While many of us run MAK's, there are a lot of Traeger users on here too. I started on a Traeger before moving to a MAK. Maybe you should check with Big Poppa about his pricing for you. He's very accommodating and the "owner" of this site. He's a pretty good fella to boot!

jimsbarbecue

Like Kynola and others I am a MAK owner. I would suggest you look at the MAK one star or Memphis entry lines. Traeger started this pellet smoking thing we love. Any Pellet smoker/cooker you choose will cook. More info could help like`what size , budget, what you plan to cook etc.

Bear

Welcome the forum!

Everyone is pretty loyal to whatever brand they happen to have. There are lots of MAK owners here. I happen to own a Memphis Pro, and really like it. I like the fact that the Memphis line and the MAKs are made in USA. Having a local distributor may seem like a big deal, but Big Poppa will give you customer service like he lives next door to you.

Ghenghis

Back for a minute. Wow, 3 replies already? In answer to Jim's question (Which, in hindsight, I should have posted), I'm looking for around the 700 to 900 square inch grill size. And I'm thinking $800 to $1,000 will be the max limit. I AM glad I won't be catching flak over whichever brand I choose. I do plan on participating in some competitions with a buddy of mine next year. That's what prompted all of this to begin with, lol.

More to follow.

CarterQ

Welcome aboard, there are tons of experts and all around good people here who love to share and learn from each other. Don't hestitate to dive right in. While we all are pretty loyal to the units we run we don't look down on others! I will say don't limit yourself to what you need now, think about the future and what you'd like to do with your smoker. You mentioned curing as an interest things like the MAK warming drawer are great for cold smoking. I almost pulled the trigger on a Traeger but at the last minute I discovered there was a whole other world to this pellet smoker thing! I got a MAK and it was the best decision I could have made. Bear is right Big Poppa's will treat you like family.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Two important things to remind yourself...

1. You are burning pellets... that is a good thing It doesnt matter how or what

2. Your first smoker wont be your last.

Have a blast and stick around

scooter

I started with a Traeger Lil Tex and 4 months later upgraded to a MAK. Learned a lot on the Traeger and I was able to sell it, at a small loss, to buy my General.

Welcome to Pelletsmoking!

Deb

Welcome Ghenghis!

I am one of the Traeger owners here. I love my Traeger and do everything with it. If I had to it again and it was the only thing in my price range I would do it again without hesitation, I can't imagine being without a pellet grill. Will it be what I buy next - no, right now based on all the reading I have done I would buy a MAK two star. So if your budget is at all flexible I would check with Big Poppa about a MAK or Memphis.

If the fact that their is a local dealer nearby is a large part of your decision I would check that out carefully as to what they can do for you. Selling you a grill is not enough of a reason. Ask if they stock parts - I had to replace my hotrod last week - I wanted to be up and running for the weekend and not wait for a warranty part to come from Traeger- I called the eight closest dealers listed on the Traeger website - a few were not dealers any longer and not one of the ones that were had the part I needed.

Whether you buy a Traeger or another brand this is a great forum to be on.

Deb

Ghenghis

Awesome input already!!! Impressive. I was looking through your Big Poppa website. My only drawback was not finding tech spec.s : grill area, btu's and the like. Was I not looking hard enough? And if I was, how do I find out that kind of info?

This is turning into an awesome adventure, and I haven't even got my smoker yet!!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
call us monday morning and we will walk you through all of what we offer...no matter what you buy you are welcome here...I want everyone to know that I bought a traeger and look where I went with it....It started with a lil tex and a year later I have a business that I wasnt planning on a forum and videos on you tube. Thank you Traeger

Ghenghis

Hey gheghis if you get a pellet smoker can I have your old one

I doubt that I'll be getting rid of the New Braunfells (sp?) smoker. It's not exactly a smoker, they didn't put a smoke box on the side. But it's a honkin' nice big grill. Got spoiled with all the grill area. Will get HOT too, if needed.

Maybe it's time to start inventing/experimenting. Who knows, maybe I'll make the next big thing in pellet smokers!!

Ghenghis

Yay !!!!! It's Friday morning the 3rd. A week from now, I will be roadtripping to look at/buy one of two different smokers!! One is a GMG, the other a Traeger (both used demos), and It looks like I have a line on a MAK one star (?) used also. Waiting to hear back from that gentleman. I'm very glad to have found this site, and you people. It has really helped me make some informed decisions !!

Hopefully in about a week from now, I'll post some pictures of my new baby. And my first foray into the field of pellet smoking. Can't wait !!

Should I just continue on this thread/page? Where would you like to see the posts, if I come home with one?

Again, thanx a million all!!

Ghenghis

First free moment I've had in awhile. At work, so I'll just repost here this once. I did it!!! Struck a deal on a GMG. Was smoking on it that night without knowing didley. Sorta ruined that one. A friend (Guormet Grillerz) came over the next day, set his up also, and we went to town. Well, I went to school, that's for sure. Once I learned the basics, it all came out awesome!!!

Pics and story hopefully tonight on a new post/thread

Top Bottom