Mesquite Nevada Results for Big Poppa Smokers

Big Poppa

Administrator
sparky I hate to talk like this but our ribs were spot on.....johnny got 9th and his were dry He and trish ate ours and wanted our sauce recipe and both said how good they were...The funny thing is that the sauce was his from two years ago!

THey got 30th....OUr chicken skin was tough and the chicken was overcooked and we thought the scores should be reversed.....I even texted Pig skin (no 2 in the country) halfway through the cook and said how bad our chicken was and how great our ribs were...pork got 17th and it was the same as last weeks....(first)

There were 18 new judges (2 to a table) That is not what you want....One judge gave us a four in tenderness on ribs...our first 4 ever and no comment card.

In Oklahoma this weekend they did a beta test on new software for scoring that tells you what table you were at...how those judges judged all four meets how they judged compared to the average...who was on your table...etc....IT showed vividly that the "right table" wrong table" To quote Rod Gray " 23 of the top 40 places were awarded by 3 tables, while only 6 of the top forty places were awarded by 4 tables. Translation: If you his tables 1 or 10 this weekend, odds were strongly against you winning this contest.

THis will be good for BBQ...much focus is on the low scoring judges but the ones that give all 9's are just as bad.

muebe

I say that Sparky be delegated as the KCBS official rib guru!

Every judge will need to spend a rigorous week with Sparky in Northern California consuming a daily allotment of ribs and FTs. Then at the end of the week there is a forty question multiple choice test. If they survive only then can they receive their judging card ;)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ill open this up soon in a separate thread...Its nice to have data to support what sounds like a cop out....WE have cooked so much better than last year and feel very unfortunate...

BUT at the end of the year the great teams are on top so you have to look at the big picture...It just is sooooooo much work and money to compete and get a four from a person who either has no taste or wasnt trained well enough Four is inedible...after over 60 comps to get a four is just funny.

Meat Man

There was a individual giving out fours at the Layton comp. The kids hit his table with their chicken, disappointing to receive a score like that. So much effort goes into the food, it sounds like KCBS is looking for a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom