Smoked Pork Collar-MAK style

KyNola

First two pics show the general shape and marbling of a Kurobuta pork collar. Somewhat reminds me of a beef brisket.
Smokerpics017-1.jpg

Smokerpics018-1.jpg

Pork collar rubbed with John Henry Apple Rub
Smokerpics019-1.jpg

In the MAK at 225 with hickory
Smokerpics020-1.jpg

MAK's Pellet Boss has got this one. Programmed to go at 225 until the meat probe reaches 175. Then drop to the "smoke" setting of 170-180 to hold it until I get back to it. BP is also doing one today with a bit of a different take I think.

Over to you BP!

KyNola

Two hours in and the IT is up around 130. Thought I would try a little basting that our friend Ronbeaux on another forum shared with us to "set" a skin and add a shine to the finished product.

Will post up some finished product pics if you're interested.

Deb

Two hours in and the IT is up around 130. Thought I would try a little basting that our friend Ronbeaux on another forum shared with us to "set" a skin and add a shine to the finished product.

Will post up some finished product pics if you're interested.

of course we are interested :D

KyNola

Finished product. It is tucked away in foil inside of a microwave oven(not turned on) for a little juice distribution nap. BP hit it right on the head. 6 hours at 225 took it to 170 IT. If it tastes as good as it smells, I'll be happy.
Smokerpics021-1.jpg

Liking the color and shine.

KyNola

Looking forward to your's BP. Those mangalitsa pigs that your collar is from are bred for their fat so that should be one juicy collar you've got. Looking forward to the finished results.

BTW, sliced mine and the meat is so tender and moist it almost falls apart. Has two distinct muscles to it, much like a brisket. This is a winner of a cut of pork. Verified the IT with a Thermopen and when I removed the Thermopen probe the juice shot out like a geyser.

Deb

Nice KyNola! Ron's basting sauce makes it very pretty, I need to remember it the next time I do ribs.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I will post in the gallery...too tired last night....5 smokers and 6 courses keeping up with a James Beard winning chef....

Here is mine in a Tangerine Chili sauce...the rub was Butchers honey then Lemon Pepper then a ton of Tumeric then a capping of Honey again with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes....250 on the Memphis Pro... I foiled to accelerate the cook at 165I would cook it to 185 last night but there wasnt a sliver left and that was the last of 6 courses with people saying they couldnt possibly eat another course.....These collars or necks are pretty neat
P1000188.jpg

P1000190.jpg

P1000191.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
The sauce was to die for and the pork is just crazy good flavor and the fattie nature doesnot seem apparant just really solid and juicy

Top Bottom