Pellet smoker cleaning

Roguejim

Besides vacuuming out the inside, is there anything else that needs to be done with regard to buildup on the inside walls? I'm using a Traeger 075. Thanks.

Trooper

I have a MAK 2 star General, so my comments apply to that unit.

The drip pan has 55, or so, holes in it on one end and it's called a "Flame Zone". The purpose is to provide an area of direct heat for better searing and probably higher temp for steaks/burgers & such.
Well as the direct heat comes up, the grease from the steaks & burgers goes down, inside the unit. So this requires extra cleaning in this area.

I generally vacume and clean after each session .Except for this weekend. Ribs are coming off at 7PM. Sundays pork rib roast goes in about noon tomorrow.
Hate to go that long between clean-up, but I'll have to be that way this weekend.
Oh, and yes I admire Scooter, as you can tell. Got many good cleanup tips from him.

Roguejim

I have a MAK 2 star General, so my comments apply to that unit.

The drip pan has 55, or so, holes in it on one end and it's called a "Flame Zone". The purpose is to provide an area of direct heat for better searing and probably higher temp for steaks/burgers & such.
Well as the direct heat comes up, the grease from the steaks & burgers goes down, inside the unit. So this requires extra cleaning in this area.

I generally vacume and clean after each session .Except for this weekend. Ribs are coming off at 7PM. Sundays pork rib roast goes in about noon tomorrow.
Hate to go that long between clean-up, but I'll have to be that way this weekend.
Oh, and yes I admire Scooter, as you can tell. Got many good cleanup tips from him.

Well, the drip pan in my Texas Elite has no holes, which might explain why I don't care for trying to sear anything in it. As near as I can tell, my Traeger is nothing more than an oven, with the addition of smoke.

squirtthecat

Hey Jim. I've got the smaller Traeger 070 (Lil Tex), and I take a flexible putty knife to the inside of mine every few months to knock off any major grease/ash buildup inside the pit. I also take a putty knife to the deflector plate and the drip pan. (I foil my drip pan, but stuff still gets built up on it) Then I just vacuum up the chunks.

No soap and water. I do clean the outside every month or so with just some Windex or 409 to get the grease stains off.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Putty knives are your friend. The Traeger is a wonderful oven...What usually gets people looking at costlier upgrade units is the ability to get hotter. Dont get me wrong Traegers seriously changed my life....and cooking.

Top Bottom