5 smokers, james Beard winning Chef, Strube Wagyu, Mangalista pork....

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im sorry that last night I didn't post a recap of my cooking..I was beat. I started yesterday at 4:30 did my work played eighteen holes and then cooked like a madman.

One of my dear friends is Jimmy Schmitt..He is a world renown chef that until recently had a column in 500 newspapers a week and is a James beard winner and every other accolade. He has a restaurant in Detroit called Rattlesnake and one in La Quinta called Morgans of the Desert.

Years ago I had him to dinner I think he was reluctant because people would invite him to dinner and then expect him to bail them out. I wouldnt let him near the kitchen and managed to get lucky and cook a decent meal. He said "why dont we cook sometime?" It started...I call it Jamming with Jimmy. we have one rule. You cannot cook anything that you have cooked before. It is improv. Usually we have a theme. We are halfway through a cookbook...been stuck for awhile we both sem to be busy

Last nights dinner was Strube Ranch Wagyu Top Round made into jerky...Jimmy made a really interesting and fabulous marinade that had Maple Syrup, Jack Daniels, Sherry Vinegar, Almonds, and garlic olive oil...then he made aioli iwth the base for dipping. Home Run. Vacuum tumbled then I cooked this on my secret smoker....It is a first generation MAK pellet controller coupled with a Meadow Creek PR36
P1000171.jpg

P1000181.jpg

Then we did a Mangalista Pork Cheek in a Roasted Paprika Espresso Sauce. I seared on the MAK griddle then Jimmy made the braising sauce with secrets like espresso onions chicken stock and duroc bacon.. After searing it on the mak we transferred it to the drum to braise at 275It was served on top of Homemade potato salad
P1000184.jpg

Next up was Jims Barbeque Strube Ranch Tri Tip Brisket style on the one star
Great recipe especailly with the fattier wagyu
P1000185.jpg

Next was a Strube Ranch Wagyu filet with a MAK smoked Jalapeno Peppercorn cream sauce....Jimmy wasnt sure about this but was totally convinced after it was devoured. The peppercorn and the jalapeno was dancing with the stars.
I didnt get a pic.
The final was Mangalista Pork neck or collar in a tangerine chili sauce....All I can say is wow. I will be posting the detailed pics one day at a time so they can get the attention they deserve...Or I hope deserve
P1000190.jpg

P1000191.jpg

DolphinLvr

Mmmmmmm BP awesome!!!!! sitting here going through all these post you all are putting up and its killing me not having my MAK yet!

Soon I am Hoping :D

TentHunter

BP, that Braised Mangalista Pork served over the homemade potato salad has got to be the most luscious looking dish you've ever posted!

I am beside myself wanting to taste it.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ill post pics of the process in the Gallery this morning It was absolutely to die for and the potato salad as a starch bed was really a strong deal

dmarotta

BP , next time you cook up a shindig like that , how about me, Jack Go Wild and JC provide some music while you cook?

Top Bottom