Garlic....I love garlic

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im gong to smoke some and show you a couple of techiniques but wanted to talk a little about Garlic.

Have I told you I love Garlic?

Garlic responds in so many different ways based on how you prepare it....the basic rule of thumb is the smaller the pieces wither chopped or minced or pressed the more garlic oil you release ....so smaller the size the more the garlic flavor....

WHole cloves get real mellow....Sliced with a mindoline are pretty much in the middle the fine stuff is big...

When yo put it in your recipe is also a factor in the strength of the garlic flavor. If you want a pronounced garlic flavor put it in at the end....

When sauteeing peppers onions and garlic add the garlic at the very end of the sautee as it cooks so much faster

I know this is obvious to most but want to talk about it...

What are some of your Garlic tips tricks or recipes?

TTNuge

Thanks BP. I love garlic but don't always know how to use it effectively. Please keep the tips coming.

HoDeDo

I like to take a head of garlic, cut the top off, and brush with olive oil. Then I season with S&P, and a little rosemary (fresh is best)... and off to the cooker it goes. 275-300 degrees until it is soft.

It squeezes out of the head like butter... and is great on/in anything that you want a nice mild/sweet garlic taste with.

Big Poppa

Administrator
perfect....

Too much garlic? I don t think so....Improper use of Garlic? yes

you can slowly cook chicken in tons and tons of whole garlic cloves...as the garlic softens its flavor is reduced....

If you too that same chick and put 10 crushed garlic cloves at the very end of the cook your flavor profile would be nutty over the top with oils released.

I have a braised lamb shank recipe where the garlic goes in chopped at the end...I love it but understanding the ingredient will expand your uses and flavor profiles.

KimG SOW

I'll have to get Andy's mom's Garlic Pasta recipe. It is AWESOME!!!! It is made with a raw garlic dressing. Yum Yum!!!

TentHunter

I'm right there with Andy, roast a whole head... or two... or three. Squeeze some out into mashed potatoes, on garlic bread, shrimp, baked potatoes, on some fresh pasta drizzled with olive oil... you name it.

And to think that something so good is also so good for you!

TentHunter

BP, you made me think of something I hadn't thought of in years. When I lived in NC, a friend used to grow elephant garlic. He'd roast or saute it in some herb butter and serve it as a side dish... Oh my word was it ever good! A garlic lover's dream.

Great memories of good times!

TentHunter

Now that you mention it, he didn't use the elephant garlic for anything other than for roasting. Either way, I remember enjoying it! ;)

SisInLaw

I would work for garlic.

drool01.gif

jimsbarbecue

I like to take a head of garlic, cut the top off, and brush with olive oil. Then I season with S&P, and a little rosemary (fresh is best)... and off to the cooker it goes. 275-300 degrees until it is soft.

It squeezes out of the head like butter... and is great on/in anything that you want a nice mild/sweet garlic taste with.

This is good we do this too.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Lets go...They have the Garlic Festival every year (I know that some know this) But you can smell garlic for 50 miles....Garlic Ice Cream you name it

SmokinMAK

LOL. I used to skydive in Hollister and sometimes the drive through Gilroy was painful! I love garlic, but the smell would have tears streaming down my face!. ;)

warpath

LOL. I used to skydive in Hollister and sometimes the drive through Gilroy was painful! I love garlic, but the smell would have tears streaming down my face!. ;)

I used to live in Hollister.. I had a friend in Gilroy and she would get awakened at night by the garlic smell so strong when they were processing..

seeya
Dave

Top Bottom