Jowl Bacon

TentHunter

The butcher where I get most of my meats makes not only really good bacon, but also great Jowl Bacon. He also sells fresh jowls, and since I'm out of bacon and need to make more, I thought I'd give jowl bacon a try.

I picked up two hog jowls weighing about 5.25 lb total. I trimmed off the skin and any glands.
I'll use the skins to make some smoked treats for the pooch.
JWLBCN01.JPG

Next, mix up some of my Cider Mill bacon brine: Filtered Water, Cider, Salt, Brown Sugar & Curing Salt #1.
JWLBCN02.JPG

Inject the jowls and into the brine. Since they're injected, they should be ready for the smoker after a couple days in the fridge.
These got covered with a plate to keep them submerged.
JWLBCN03.JPG

Be back in a couple days...

sparky

jowl bacon? never heard of it. isn't bacon, bacon? i like how thick it is. like taking a slice off a pork butt. i'm liking this TH.

TentHunter

Update - Jowl Bacon Done!

Well after the jowls cured in the wet brine for 48 hours, it was time to lay on some smoke. I think we'll go with Apple for the hot-smoke...

...but first, to get a hint of sweet maple, lets cold smoke with a blend of 100% Apple & Maple pellets.
JWLBCN04.JPG

These will get a two hour cold-smoke, then hot-smoked (around 170°) using Apple.
JWLBCN05.JPG

After 7 hours of hot-smoke, they reached their target internal temp of 150°. Nine hours of total smoke time.
JWLBCN06.JPG

After cooling, wrap tightly in plastic then into the fridge for a 48 hour rest to let the smoke permeate.
JWLBCN07.JPG

After the 48 hour rest, boy are they smelling good! Time to slice.
JWLBCN08.JPG

JWLBCN09.JPG

What's that you ask? Well, of course we sampled some! ;)
JWLBCN10.JPG

Jowl bacon may not be as pretty as belly bacon, but it sure tastes just as good!

Thanks for looking, and letting me ramble!

Cliff

ACW3

Okay Cliff, now I have to find some pig cheeks to make bacon with. Yours looks fantastic!!

Art

Top Bottom