I found this link to perfect prime rib

Big Poppa

Administrator
I love when I find something that verifies what I have learned the hard way...

I started cooking prime ribs the old fashion way...I even still showed people how on my videos...Over the last year I have discovered that reverse sear is the best and low roasting temps worked the best. It also shows the when you reverse sear the meat retains more weight ihich translates into juicyness

Here they explain it perfectly and along the way dispel the Searing is sealing and more

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

Big Poppa

Administrator
The real key is the discussion of searing first vs reverse sear...I prefer reverse sear but didnt have and scientific data...just taste buds. The fact that two pieces of meat the same size cooked at identical temps that the reverse sear will retain more of its weight is clearly a key.

It also once again explains the Maillard reaction which needs the perimeter of the meat to get to 310 to properly carmelize....that s why the grills have to get to at least 400 to do an adequate job

squirtthecat

I have to try this sometime... Smoke low & slow in the Traeger, and crank up my MiniMAK to '11' for the last 8-10 minute ride.

HoDeDo

Great article, the only way to fly. I will have to dig up pics of the last cook on my gasser... had the infrared rotisserie burner, and a big prime rib rolling... right before it went up in flames!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Even Andy has disasters....we can all take solace in that.....

Why I went to the cooler cooking temps is that I would cook a roaring prime rib old school at 325..Usually is a communal cook and your prime rib has a window of about 5 minutes at that temp...and someone is always not ready and I pretend to not be totally and completely annoyed that my expensive prime rib is being ruined buy aunt judys freezer rolls...the hold is so much better at the lower temps and the consistancy of the cook is far superior

TentHunter

What a great article!

I love that it points out a simple observation. Grill a burger, steak, pork steak or even a chicken breast thoroughly. After you flip it you can see with your own eyes that juices flow up through the cooked surface.

Controlled tests have been done by people a lot more knowledgeable than me that prove this, yet a lot of folks simply won't let go of the old school thinking that searing first locks in juices.

Oh well... I guess we'll eat a lot better than they will! ;)

Now I feel like I'm armed with enough info to try cooking a rib roast. Stuff like this is why I'm here; to share & LEARN!

Thanks for posting this!

SilverBullet

Interesting & Just in time for Thanksgiving!
I'm picking up my roast for Thanksgiving tommorrow.
Definatly going to give this a try!

FLBentRider

I found that article last year. I cook my rib roast that way. It is awesome.

It also lends itself well to the "cook and travel" method.

I smoked the roast in my Bradley @200F until an IT of 120F, then FTC and off to mothers. Finish in her oven = $$$

IMHO - that "sear first" is very overrated.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I was using my taste buds to tell me that I preferred the reverse sear..but this actually uses scientific data to verify that the meat retains more weight=moisture reverse searing

Big Poppa

Administrator
Sis you remember how many roasts sat while someones husband ran to the office and by the time we cut into it it was shoe leather? With this technique it is perfect

Spey Rod

I have been trying to figure out how to grill my prime rib for New Years. We have a very good friend who is not able to come over due to medical issues. Grilling here and running the roast over to his house and finishing is brilliant!

Now I just need to figure out the timing.

Thanks for the link.

Top Bottom