Cold (War) Smoked Cheese

squirtthecat

Fired up the AMZN pellet smokers (one in the nose cone, and one in the firebox), and got busy smoking a bit of cheese in Blue October. :cool:

IMGP2531.JPG

Pepper Jack, Colby Jack, Medium Cheddar and a small hunk of Gouda.

IMGP2537.JPG

In we go. They look kinda lonely in there.

IMGP2538.JPG

No fire going, so the 'reverse flow' draft needed a little help.

IMGP2557.JPG

Now we're talking.

IMGP2548.JPG

We'll give them 3 hours of that and see if they've picked up some color. It's supposed to touch 80* today and then storm like the dickens. I'll have it back in 'dry dock' by then.

BBL.

squirtthecat

Blue 'What'??

An introduction is in order.

The newest member of our fleet. It has that nuclear sub/ICBM thing going on, so we named it 'Blue October'. (it also arrived home in the wee hours of the night on 10/1)

IMGP2543.JPG

IMGP2544.JPG

It's a Lang clone. Reverse flow, etc. 34 sq feet of rack space. Lump is our fuel of choice, but I'm testing pellets this weekend for flavor vs throwing chunks of hickory into the firebox every 30 minutes.

Heh..

IMGP2552.JPG

We were toying with the idea of mounting a couple Traeger hopper assemblies on it, but I think a pair of AMZNPS tubes will do the trick nicely. I have one up front generating most of the smoke, and one in the firebox mainly to scout out some leaks/gaps I'm sealing up.

squirtthecat

Hal brought it to his place first, and then I went and picked it up before any of his neighbors got home from work. It's been hiding in my garage for a couple weeks now. We rolled it out last week and fired it up for the first time. (no pellets, so I didn't post here)

It will have a spacious new home with the Meat Monster around November 1.

--

I just have the AMZNPS tube smoker up in the front now, and it it sill puffing away nicely.

RickB

Think ya need a little bigger unit for that cheese!;) cant wait for temps to drop to smoke a bunch of cheese.

squirtthecat

Sorry, got busy and forgot to upload the final shot.

After about 2.5 hours. The AMZNPS tube is still puffing away.

IMGP2558.JPG

Close enough. I pull the cheese to cool down for a bit in the freezer, while I wrestle the beast into the garage.

IMGP2565.JPG

The softer cheeses took the most color. I've got them vacuum sealed now, and will hide for about 6 weeks before opening.

TentHunter

Nuclear sub smoked cheese!

Interesting that you ended up using the fan to get the smoke moving. Did you have to keep it running the whole time?

This reminds me. I'm out of smoked cheese. I need to do some.

squirtthecat

Nuclear sub smoked cheese!

Interesting that you ended up using the fan to get the smoke moving. Did you have to keep it running the whole time?

This reminds me. I'm out of smoked cheese. I need to do some.

Not really. It took some coaxing to get the smoke from the cold firebox to make it's way through the beast, so I added the fan.

The AMZNPS tube smoker up front did a fine job of filling the 500 gallon chamber full of smoke.

Top Bottom