To brine or not to brine, that is the question

rbaggett

Bigga Poppa says he doesn't brine. I brine and I believe it makes a huge difference in flavor and moistness. Here is my super brine recipe for 2 16 lb. turkeys. It's a little work, but well worth it. Start with a stock pot and 1 gallon of water. Add tablespoons of the following: dried rosemary (1), dried sage (1), dried thyme (1), tarragon leaves (1) crushed garlic (4), black pepper (3). Add cups of following: Worchester (1/2), brown sugar (1/2), kosher salt (2). Add the following: bay leaves (3), whole cloves (3), crushed allspice (6), crushed juniper berries (6), diced yellow onions (3), diced carrot (1) and diced celery stalk (1). Bring to a boil for 1/2 and then let cool. Then add into at least a 6-7 gallon container, 2 additional gallons of water, 2 quarts of apple juice and 2 (32 oz) vegetable broth. Then place turkeys into container for a period of 24- 48 hours.

TentHunter

This year, because I'm spatchcocking, I'm not planning to brine.

Granted, I haven't spatchcocked a turkey, but I've done countless chickens and they come out unbelievably moist every time. I always use fresh, never injected chickens.

So, based on those experiences (and Big Poppa's posts/pics) it should work beautifully.

Just look at this pic that Big Poppa posted...
how could you not love that --> http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z265/biffalo/IMG_0433-1.jpg ;)

Either way it will be a learning experience and that's always good! :p

rbaggett

I know I got a little carried away with the spices. Sorry, but I love them all. I actually wanted to put in a few more.

FLBentRider

I have been using the AB brine for the last few years, I get a fresh, "minimally processed" bird and brine it overnight.

I can't believe the difference it makes.

The last few Thanksgivings we have done a side-by-side comparison (my mom does a TB in the oven - has to have gravy)

The oven bird doesn't get nearly as much action as the smoked one.

This year will be my first pellet bird and the first vertical bird.

Top Bottom