Their off and running! BPS Heading to Santa Anita!!!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok this one wasnt on the schedule but I had a blast at the last one there ...so what the heck just 6 weekends in a row!

The good news is that MAK is sponsoring it and I will get to Meet Bob and Kerrie for the first time face to face!!!

Meat Man

I grew up not to far from the track. What great place to spend an afternoon and play the ponies. Hope you hit the Daily Double BP. Good Cooking!

Big Poppa

Administrator
We had another very stange result...story of our year..5th ribs only one call which almost never happens with us....10th overall...they hit my pork pretty hard and just gave average scores to jodys chicken which was very good and I cooked my normal brisket....usuall does very well 15th here. oh well I get a week off...no competition I have to shoot cooking videos next week and then off to laughlin!

jimsbarbecue

More Photos From the MAK Grills Santa Anita BBQ Competition

MAK-Grills-Santa-Anita-BBQ-L.jpg

Aaron Obermyer

That was my first contest I have been to. 95 degrees in SoCal at this point of the year was a little hot but it was a cool venue (the Santa Anita Race Track) and an interesting experience. I got to talk to Big Poppa for a while. He was tired from the cook but still took the time to talk. Thanks! What a nice person. You have to see his rig in person.

I also talked to Steph from Simply Marvelous (Chris from Big Aces was working with him) and Tim from Dead Pig walking. Plus Bob and Kerrie from Mak spent a ton of time with me. How cool is that to meet the company that makes my grill? They were really nice people and gave me a cool Mak souvenir.

I also got to taste my first competition BBQ from some of the teams that were selling and others that were not.

scooter

Steph, gonna buy some of your rubs and I see your rubs are in the BPS store but there are several types. If BP doesn't mind the threadjack, can you tell me which of your rubs you recommend for pork ribs, chicken, beef and general purpose?

Top Bottom