Bad News.

Big Poppa

Administrator
This may not seem like bad news to you...but

This Thanksgiving is the smallest for me that I can remember....usually 20+...this year its just immediate family. Only 7.
It is my favorite holiday by far and Im bummed.

So I go shopping yesterday..... A little retail grocery therapy....3 turkeys, a ham, 8 loves of aritsan breads, 3 pounds of string beans, stuffing ingredients for three stuffings.......50 lbs of potatos, 5 lbs fresh cranberries......I am not exagerating and actually am leaving stuff out.

My wife just looks at me like "Are you crazy?' "Yes...I am smoking crazy."

Now the bad news....I dont get to cook all three turkeys....She wants one with stuffing so she is cooking one in the oven....I apologize for losing my way in the name of marital harmony

I will be smoking one on the MAK and one on the Hasty Bake Gourmet with Rotisserie...but there will be pellets involved. The Ham is going on the Mempis pro

Deb

You'll still have a great time.... my favorite holiday too

people think I'm crazy for doing 4 desserts for 9 or 10 people -- for me it's not the quantity (as in one or two would be enough to feed all of us) - it's the fun of doing and variety

the only thing I don't get.... 50 lbs. of potatoes?

Luckily my husband has no interest in cooking at all so I do whatever I wish.......

CarterQ

I'm in the same boat, we were expecting 20 but due to attrition (health, work, etc. etc.) up we are down to 10. Wife thinks i've lost my marbles though as I still bought enough food for 20!

I'm with Deb, to me the fun is in the variety. Wife gives me a hard time but she loves to bake and she is already up to 5 desserts and was still attacking cookbooks. I plan on doing appetizers, a multitude of sides, couple of stuffings, and a couple of turkeys.

Thanksgiving is fun and seeing happy family and guests is the best reward no matter how many or how few you are cooking for.

Have to ask what are you planning on doing with that many spuds?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I have no idea....Its actually 25 lbs....I hate this... iwant a big crown and the counter tops full of food...The second part is going to happen

TentHunter

BP, sorry to hear you have to let the wife cook a turkey, but that's good news compared to what I was thinking...

I read the title "Bad News" and thought, "Oh no Big Poppa's gotta close the website or forum!" My heart skipped a beat.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Gotcha! hahahah People always pay attention to taboild headlines and car chases....If I posted that my wife was cooking a turkey it wouldnt have been viewed!

rbaggett

Strap on the trousers, Big Poppa. No ovens or gassers for Thanksgiving. Only pellets except for the Big Easy exception. Also, cooking dressing in the turkey is not a good idea for health reasons. Last count we have 15, but it may be 12. For that we have 2 16+lb turkeys, prime rib and quail appetizers. We should have pleanty of leftovers which is what Thanksgiving is all about.

doodles

Bad News

I seem to remember a story about a guy getting blanked for a feast, so he went out to the highways and byways and invited people in to enjoy his banquet. What a great idea! I'll be there are some folks in your area who would kill for the kind of incredible food that you put out, and I guess I know nobody else who has the capacity to do the cooking, the expertise, and the personality, to pull off such a thing like you do. You are truly one of a kind. May you have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Big Poppa

Administrator
See the Difference between Doodles and Baggett? BTW Robin and I have been friends and we were actual partners for many many years.

Doodles thanks for the kind words and I will think good thoughts for you and your family as I know there have been challenges this year for you and yours.

Phrett Bender

If my wife were cooking the turkey it would be like a car chase, couldn't end well no matter what happened! It can be difficult to give up the reins for a day, but we will survive better than the car chase! Happy Turkey Day!

Top Bottom