...Thrown to the Dogs!

TentHunter

After posting in the Frozen Mak, Happy Dog thread, and seeing how many of us have furry sons/daughters, this is by request. (I'd taken pics anyway ;)).

Ever wonder what to do with that bone or the skin that sometimes comes on the picnic shoulder? You paid for it so DON'T WASTE IT; make your pooch some doggy treats!

I recently bought a whole pork shoulder that weighed in at 16.25 lbs. It still had the skin on. It was cheaper buying it that way so I asked the butcher to cut it in half so I ended up with the Butt & Picnic cuts.
DogTreats01.JPG

I started by carefully skinning both cuts.
DogTreats02.JPG

I then carefully boned the picnic cut. I'll grind the meat later for sausage.
DogTreats03.JPG

Trim most of the fat off the skin then cut it into some strips & triangles.
DogTreats04.JPG

Continued -->

TentHunter

...Thrown to the Dogs - Part 2

I already had a rack of spareribs going so I threw the pork rinds & bones on with them. I let them smoke low & slow for 4 or 5 hours until they were crispy, then put them on a cookie sheet to cool.
DogTreats05.JPG

I had some room on a different cook so I threw on some pig ears.
DogTreats06.JPG

Same as the pork rinds, I just let them smoke low and slow for 5 or 6 hours using Apple & Hickory pellets. After smoking I trim the thick fatty portions off the Pig Ears and give them to the dog sooner. They have too much fat and can turn rancid or grow mold when stored in bags.
DogTreats07.JPG

Once cooled, use paper towels to pat the oils off everything. Place the rinds in a bag and in the fridge to store. Be absolutely sure sure to let the pig ears air dry for several days until they're hard then store in a bag in the fridge.

Lucy, our little 8 1/2 lb. Jack Russel, usually gets the bone first and she loves it!
Lucy2.JPG

Its fun watching her carry that big bone around. :)

Thanks!

Edit: Oh Yeah, I almost forgot... If you like them, the pork rinds are perfectly fine for people to eat too! My son and I both munch on them. They're crispy like the ones you get in bags only better because they're smoked!

Last edited:

CarterQ

Nice! Even doggy treats are better on a pellet smoker! You could have fun with guests with those pig ears on the smoker, tell em its the appetizer!

Candy Sue

Tweety has gone to dog heaven, but she found the pig tail at a pig roast. I smoked it for her. A best memory for sure!
tweetytail.jpg

TentHunter

...You could have fun with guests with those pig ears on the smoker, tell em its the appetizer!

LOL!!! Great idea. I should take them for Thanksgiving dinner and tell my Brother in Law I made them specially for him!

DolphinLvr, Your Weimaraner will love them for sure!

TentHunter

Tweety has gone to dog heaven, but she found the pig tail at a pig roast. I smoked it for her. A best memory for sure!

What a great pic Candy Sue! Its gonna break my heart when something happens to Lucy. She has integrated herself into our family very well. She even lets my wife & I sleep in HER bed! lol

nepas

Them pups and bones are giant compaired to our recent addition. We got a toy imperial shihtzu that will weigh 4 lbs full grown.

Tiffany the jerky pup #II

DSC00628.jpg

Top Bottom