Pellet cooked Turkey plan on the MAK

FLBentRider

My thought was to:

1. Brine the bird.

2. Mount the bird on a vertical roaster over a foil pan.

3. Open beer.

4. Run for ~2 hours on "smoke"

5. Open beer

6. Increase temp to ??? 300 or 325F until an IT of 160-165F

7. FTC and off to Mom's house to serve.

Big Poppa

Administrator
FL I dont like the 325 unless it is the last twenty minutes a bird at 325 will continue to cook...go to your pellet boss and program 2 hours smoke, 275 untill 155 and 325 until 163 and ramp down and rest

squirtthecat

That's kind of how I did mine last weekend. (but manual steps - not programmed) I put it in a foil pan in a cooler with lid on, but I didn't wrap the bird in foil. It stayed plenty hot. (and I opened more than 2 beers - but I wasn't driving anywhere)

FLBentRider

Thanks BP - that was what I was looking for.

STC - Programming the pellet boss is easy once you get the hang of it. It's a lot like the PID programming.

Each step has a temp and a end condition. Time or Probe temp.

So my step one is Smoke for 01:00:00 hours
Then 275 until MP1 = 155
then 325 until MP1 = 163
then smoke until 23:00:00 hours

CarterQ

Thanks guys that sounds like the perfect program, I will use that one tomorrow for the guest of honor!

Big Poppa

Administrator
should be perfect Here is a great example of using the technology that Bob at MAK gives you...This is absolutely failsafe.

CarterQ

I need failsafe tomorrow, got the inlaws! Although we did sausages and peppers tonight on the MAK griddle and they were blown away, said it was better than dad made which is huge with this group! They were freaked out with my turkey plan prior to being subjected to pellet cooking tonight. I'll post the results of the bird. Thanks for all the great insight.

FLBentRider

Flaw in the plan.

Pellet boss only has 3 steps. :-(

So I will leave it on smoke, set the kitchen timer for 2 hours, then start the pellet boss.

Big Poppa

Administrator
How about doing the smok on the timer and then leaving the more important steps to the Boss....The Pellet Boss

Top Bottom