Stuffed Shrimp and Tritip on a drum

scooter

Pickled Jalapeno Cream cheese stuffed shrimp with a bacon wrap and glazed with sweet chili sauce and a tritip cooked on a very versatile BPS Engineered Drum Smoker.

This appetizer won the "5 ingredient One Bite" category for Melissa Cookston on her way to winning Grand Champion at the 1st annual 2012 Kingsford Invitational. Five ingredients: Pickled jalapeno, cream cheese, shrimp, bacon, sweet chili sauce.
Chopped up the jalapenos and mixed in with the cream cheese then stuffed the shrimp.
IMG_9718.jpg

My favorite bacon, Nueske's (pronounced "new skees") from Wisconsin.
IMG_9719.jpg

Wrapped the shrimp
IMG_9720.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

Added some hickory pellets to the drum
IMG_9723.jpg

Time to throw the shrimp on the barbi
IMG_9726.jpg

Started with the coal basket in the low position then decided to raise it to the top so the bacon would cook faster so the shrimp wouldn't be overcooked. Flipped them at do the other side. The burned one to the left was in the middle.
IMG_9727.jpg

Off the drum then glazed with sweet chili sauce. They were so good! Multiple textures and flavors all coming together in one sweet heat bite. It's no wonder Melissa won with these shrimp!
IMG_9735.jpg

Continued next post

Last edited:

scooter

Now on to the tritip! Also cooked on the drum

Vacuum tumbled the tritip with Kinders Original Beef marinade.
IMG_9741.jpg

Wiped off the marinade, rubbed it with garlic olive oil, BPS Jalapeno Seasoned Salt and DSSR.
IMG_9743.jpg

On to the drum and flipped over halfway through and brushed with steak butter
IMG_9744.jpg

Finished and resting. Followed BP's advice on this tritip and didn't finish with a sear as I usually do.
IMG_9750.jpg

Cooked this one to medium
IMG_9757.jpg

Plated with baked tater and salad!

IMG_9758.jpg

RickB

Sorry now known as Scooter Shrimp! Thats on this weekend. Sorry bud but you came up heads. I'm a tail man! ;) but my wife picked you.....go figure :)

Last edited:

scooter

You should always listen to your better half amigo!! lol

You can probably leave out the pickled jalapenos or cut them into bigger chunks as I could not really detect them diced. The Mrs said the same thing. You can find sweet chili sauce at most stores but they may only have the 750ml size bottle which will take up a lot of room in your fridge. Trader Joes has the stuff in a much smaller bottle. Of course, Ranch99 market not only has it in smaller bottles but has a dozen different producers and a bevy of bottle sizes.

scooter

This is a pic of Melissa Cookston's turnin box for the contest. Pic taken by Harry Soo who was one of the event judges.

178246_10151126064436586_1446171618_o.jpg

ACW3

I may have to give those shrimp a go for our Christmas Party, along with a big batch of Moinks. My BBQ'd shrimp always disappear quickly. The Moinks rarely make it to the table as they get heisted on the way from the grill. Love to see really good appetizers. You can make a meal on just apps.

Art

dpom

Hey, Scooter how would you do these on the MAK .As to temp and time I'm thinking on doing them for our christmas party this weekend.They don't look like they would be good reheated would you agree?

scooter

Dave, I would try one first on "high" right over the flame zone to see how it goes. If it works add the rest. I did them over fresh lump charcoal which was probably around 750*+. You want to cook the bacon as quickly as possible without overcooking the shrimp. That's the trick. Do one side, flip over and do the other.
Shrimp NEVER does well reheated, IMO. :)

fishingbouchman, apparently, the rules of this contest allowed for it since she won the category. The rules were a combination of sanctioning body "insights". If it were a straight up KCBS contest (which it wasn't), it would have meant an instant DQ for foreign object in the turnin box.

Art, these babies will vanish a lot quicker than it took to construct them! lol

dpom

Thanks for the quick reply if i can't get it to work i"ll use to oven it"s really feeling neglected since MAK 2 entered the pic.

RickB

Is this what you used on the shrimp Scooter?

IMG_1423-1.jpg

Ohh and after glazeing the shrimp did you put them back on the heat to set the sauce?

Rick

Last edited:
Top Bottom