Schinkenspeck: German Ham-Bacon

TentHunter

I saw a version of this in the Rytek Kutas book and just had to research it some more and try it!

Schinkenspeck is German for "Ham-Bacon". It's often made from a flat cut of ham with a thick fat rind running along one side, resembling bacon. Hence the name.

I decided to go with a rolled version similar to the one in the Rytek Kutas Book, which has a section of leaner ham in the center and pork belly rolled around outside. It can be sliced and fried like traditional bacon, or thinly sliced and served cold like prosciutto as an appetizer.

Schinkenspeck is traditionally flavored with juniper berries, Black Pepper and other seasonings giving it a very unique flavor.

If you're wondering what Juniper berries taste like, here's the best description I can come up with: Being the ripened seed cones from a juniper bush, they have a piney flavor, similar to rosemary, and peppery with a slightly sweet hint of berry flavor.

I started with a small hank shank, skinned & boned out.
SHNKSPK1.JPG

The Juniper Berries & Peppercorns were slightly crushed, simmered in some water and allowed to completely cool. Once cool it was mixed with the other brine ingredients: Salt, Curing Salt #1, a little sugar & Filtered Water to make 1 1/2 gallons of brine.
SHNKSPK2.JPG

The shank & a small slab of pork belly go in the brine, and into the fridge, for 6 -7 days. NO INJECTION or shortcuts on this one! This needs the extra time develop the proper flavor.
SHNKSPK3.JPG

Drip drying for a couple hours after 6 1/2 days in the brine.
SHNKSPK4.JPG

Trimmed rolled & tied. Gelatin was sprinkled onto all surfaces except outside to the bind the meat together.
SHNKSPK5.JPG

Rolling some pecan for a lighter smoke profile. No reason to waste the trimmings - smoke them up as tasso!
SHNKSPK6.JPG

SHNKSPK7.JPG

SHNKSPK8.JPG

Thin sliced and delicious! The mild flavor is really nice with subtle hints of the pepper and Juniper berries coming through. We enjoyed some of this thinly sliced with some crackers & cheese.
SHNKSPK9.JPG

Thanks for sneaking a peek!

Last edited:
Top Bottom