Smoked rib roast on a drum and BP's smoked jalapeno scalloped taters in a MAK, oh my!

scooter

Smoked rib roast on a drum and BP's smoked jalapeno scalloped taters in a MAK, oh my!

Start with a 7# 3 bone rib roast, season it with garlic olive oil, jalapeno season salt and DSSR. Should make a great tasting crust off a drum cooker with its semi-direct cooking style.
IMG_9795.jpg

Throw in some hickory pellets and a chunk of red oak
IMG_9838-1.jpg

Time to get the roast going in the drum so I can get the jalapeno taters put together and into the MAK.
IMG_9797.jpg

Jalapeno taters together and into the MAK at 375
IMG_9806.jpg

Rib roast hit 140IT and is done. That's the drum crust I was looking for.
IMG_9811.jpg

Jalapeno scalloped taters are also nicely done.
IMG_9815.jpg

Nice and brown and cheesy. Pretty! That brown crusty cheese on top and along the edges was amazing.
IMG_9817.jpg

The roast is done resting. The push carried the IT from 140 to 148. Beautiful carmelization of the crust.
IMG_9825.jpg

Sliced.
IMG_9830.jpg

Plated! The meat was smokey, juicy and tender.

IMG_9834.jpg

Kite

Oh my scooter.. that is an awesome looking roast! And I have found that nothing beats smoked scalloped taters..

TentHunter

Oh man, I wish I had waited 'till AFTER I ate to look at this. Now I am ravenous BIG TIME!!!

Beautiful cook scooter!

P.S. Some time try throwing them Brussels Sprouts on a FireWire and hit them with a little olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. Throw them on the grill and watch out! They are incredible that way!

Zephyr

That RibRoast looks fantastic Scott, nice bark! :p :p And I love the way those tatters were fixed! :p .......................................... ZEP

scooter

Kite, you gotta try BP's jalapeno scalloped taters! they are the best I've had. I love the flavors in this recipe! They all just work really well together and you can adjust the heat level easily.

Tent, I never thought of that with the firewire and sprouts! I'll do that soon.

Meat Man

IMG_9834.jpg

Scooter, you'd get my vote. There are so many good cooks here on Pellet Smoking. That's the money shot there, awesome cook. Great pics, details and cooked on a drum. I even like the use of Brussel Sprouts for color. WTG!

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
IMG_0586-3.jpg

cooked them between 400 425 for about an hour and 15 foiled and 30 minutes uncovered....they were outstanding.

scooter

BP, looks like you nailed it! You originally posted this recipe in the Gallery forum but I moved it over to the HOF Recipes forum. I updated the post with your new time/temp.

Top Bottom