The best meatloaf on the planet!!

scooter

This recipe originated from TX BBQ rub company then went through a friend who made some changes then came to me. I thought the final product a little too sweet so I added a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix (A nod to my mothers meatloaf recipe) to balance out the salt to sweet ratio, I also added the BBQ sauce coating near the end and Happy Ending rub to the recipe. The end result is a meatloaf that's well balanced sweet to salt, very moist, lots of flavor with a hint of smoke. Simply the best I've ever had. Others who've tried it have said the same thing.

Here it is for your dining pleasure!!

scooter's Meatloaf Recipe

3 lbs ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, minced (1/8" or smaller)
1 medium green bell pepper, minced (1/8" or smaller)
1 medium red bell pepper, minced (1/8" or smaller)
6 eggs beaten
1 1/2 stacks Ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 cup Three Cheese Blend (parmesan/romano/asiago)
1/3 cup Texas BBQ rub
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 TBS garlic, minced
1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
BPS Happy Ending Rub

In a large bowl mix all ingredients (except the crackers) together. It's best to use your hands to mix it thoroughly. Now throw in the crushed crackers and incorporate them completely into the mix.
Heat your pit to 325. Put down a Frogmat and roll out the meatloaf mixture onto the Frogmat and form into a loaf.
At an IT of 145*, give the loaf a light coat of BBQ sauce. Continue to cook to set the sauce until an IT of 155* - 160* is reached. Pull from the pit, cover with foil and let rest 15 mins then slice and serve.
Wood: Oak, Pecan, Hickory
The image below only shows 3 packs of crackers but I actually used 4 of those short stacks of Ritz crackers to be the equal of 1 1/2 stacks of the full stacks of Ritz crackers.
IMG_0027.jpg

This is the size of the minced onion, pepper and garlic I use. Very small mince. This is what makes this meatloaf so very moist!
IMG_0030.jpg

Onto the frogmat
IMG_0031.jpg

I set the drum up to cook like a WSM. I covered the charcoal basket with a foil covered pizza pan.
IMG_0032.jpg

Hickory pellets and a chunk of red oak
IMG_9838-1.jpg

Green beans coated with olive oil and Desert Gold go in the MAK at 425* for 20 mins. These are done!
IMG_0043.jpg

The meatloaf is brushed with Better Than Sex BBQ Sauce and dusted with Happy Ending rub at around 145* IT and left in the cooker to set the sauce. Here it's done at 155*. Looks good enough to eat!!
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Plated with mashed taters and gravy and roasted green beans

IMG_0063.jpg

Last edited:

RickB

Best on the planet? Ok my friend if your gonna make that boast you need to give us all a slice! Looks damn good!

dnew

Thanks Scooter, I am going to take your recipe and run. It will be on the menu one night this coming week. Thanks for sharing.

51Phantom

I made this last night and it turned out great. Forgot to take pictures, but overall I was very happy with it. Didn't have the onion soup mix so I added some onion powder. Great recipe and easy to make.

scooter

A note about changing the rub in the recipe is keeping the salt/sweet balance. The recipe is originally from TX BBQ company so of course the recipe calls for their rub and their rub is much sweeter than it is salty which is one of the reasons why I added the Lipton onion soup mix to the recipe which is salty enough to balance it all out plus it adds that great onion flavor my Mom's meatloaf used to have.
So, others, keep it in mind to use a rub (or combination of rubs) that is on the sweet side or consider not putting in the onion soup mix but then I couldn't guarantee it to be the best on the planet after all those substitutions! :)

Also, leftover slices make excellent sammies. Take a leftover slice and butter up a hot griddle then grill the meatloaf slice to golden brown flip and add some cheese while grilling the other side (put under a broiler to melt the cheese if necessary). Toast or grill the bread or roll (sourdough or rye work well). Mix mayo and bbq sauce together. Add tomatoes, lettuce...whatever.... It's outstanding! It takes a cold meatloaf sandwich to another level

Top Bottom