Hey its Friday again! Whoa does time fly!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Lets see some cold weather diehards show us how its done!

First Place $25 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Third Place $10 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 to all other entrants!

Bring it on!

Kite

It was Friday yesterday here.. today it is FridayX2 (it's on the new calendar that starts after the end of the world on 12/21/2012). It comes with the new faith - the first commandment is "life is short so thou shalt not settle for a 2 day weekend, three is better".

FLBentRider

Two Tri tips

No cold weather here in South Florida... I did get a 13 mile bike ride in today.

The Mrs saw tri-tip at the local grocery. She picked up two. I think I'll keep her.

One rubbed with "salt lick" and the other with JH Raspberry Chipotle
DSC_3167_zps04a6ac86.jpg

On the MAK 2 star with a mixture of BD Oak and wine-soaked oak, temp set to SMOKE
DSC_3168_zps1509f7c4.jpg

After an hour and a half
DSC_3170_zpsdff60aed.jpg

After that I moved them to the warming area, set the MAK to HIGH and installed grill grates
DSC_3170_zpsdff60aed.jpg

Seared, rotate, flip. Looking for an IT of ~122F
DSC_3171_zps4432c7b7.jpg

Done!
DSC_3172_zps0f6ece2f.jpg

Sliced
DSC_3173_zpsfa202491.jpg

DSC_3174_zps6ba2aaf7.jpg

DSC_3175_zps55f813c3.jpg

Plated - final IT was 125F
DSC_3176_zps6ddc2d9c.jpg

cowdog

RAINY DAY CHILI

A chilly and rainy day here in Northern Virginia, and the wife has been requesting me to make some chili. So, here goes...

Most of the players...

CHILI1_zps25e4ec8f.jpg

Figured I would try to smoke the ground beef for a while and see if the smoky flavor will still come out with all of the spices. Here is the beef getting ready to smoke for a bit with hickory in the Amazin' Tube...

CHILI2_zps67f78934.jpg

Finished product with some very good cornbread that my wife put together...

CHILI3_zps551f8b82.jpg

Very good flavor, and just the right amount of heat. I created a hybrid chili recipe from a couple I found online. I was pleasantly surprised that the smokiness actually came through a little, and made a difference in the overall flavor.

Thanks for looking.

Scallywag

Mushroom bernaise panko steaks

Lets see how this works out..
Rubbed some nice steaks
IMG_4359.jpg

Reverse seared and resting...
IMG_4361.jpg

Flour egg and panko
IMG_4362.jpg

Shrooms red wine garlic and beef stock.. gonna reduce
IMG_4360.jpg

dpom

My entry for this week. My first ribeye on the mak

DSC_0092_zpsce120429.jpg

seasoned with money,Dssr,bp garlic season salt, webber roasted garic and herb
two plated without blue cheese
DSC_0095_zpsec30a0e9.jpg

started on smoke for 10 mins. then up to 300
DSC_0097_zpsf9450bfe.jpg

One plated with blue cheese. These were by far the best steaks i have cooked,and right up with the best I've had. And they were reduced for quick sale at Sam's club. Thank you very much Scooter for spending the time walking me through how to post!!!
DSC_0102_zpsc6055f67.jpg

DSC_0103_zps0f18ec5a.jpg

DSC_0106_zps0fffc8d6.jpg

DSC_0107_zps46b3a9d6.jpg

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok kids i knew what day it was. Had way too much going on between the four companies i have, scott from pigskin visiting getting the trailer ready for vista. I knew that if i posted on friday evening that there would be pms and posts about the contest. But with the low turn out recently especially this week we may go every other week. Lets watch the cook count for the next week or so

Patrick_CT

I made meatloaf too be sliced up thin for sandwiches for the weekend.
Used 3lbs of ground chicken and 1 lb of sausage.
Sweated down onions red bell pepper, 1 jalepeno and garlic then let cool.
2 eggs
panko spicy crumbs
BP double secret
Parm cheese.

Smoked for 2 hours then increased to 275

Pulled it at 166 and let it rest for an hour until cooler then the wife and I sampled some... ok maybe too much. :)

photo-2_zps9b950511.jpg

Pulled and resting.
image-2_zps37f5c84d.jpeg

We had other cooks planned this weekend, but sometimes more important things happen that you need to take care of. We hope that everyone hugged their kids an extra time, we sure did.

scooter

Big Poppa's Sriracha Tritip Sandwich with homemade Cream of Tomato soup

Big Poppa made a tritip sandwich video and that sandwich looked so good I had to make it. There are about 3 new videos BP made showcasing tritip which gives an indication of how important tritip is Californians! In one of the tritip videos BP used Sriracha sauce (Vietnamese Garlic Hot Sauce) as a glue/coating for the rub to stick to. Never tried that before! Sounds really hot....it wasn't, just really tasty.

So tonight is cold and what goes better with a sandwich on a cold night than a nice hot cup of homemade Cream of Tomato soup??? Here's how it went!

Any tritip sandwich starts with seasoning a tritip. I vacu-tumbled the TT with Head Country Premium marinade for 20 mins.
Then wiped off the marinade and applied a coating of Sriracha sauce then coated with BP's DSSR and Butchers Steak & Brisket rub.
IMG_0081.jpg

Next let's get the seasoned sourdough croutons going in the MAK so I'll have something to float in the soup. Seasoned with garlic olive oil. Mine were also dusted with Desert Gold.
IMG_0080.jpg

Now lets get the tritip going on the drum but first add some 100% Red Oak pellets to the drum pellet holder/heat diffuser (Thanks Jim!) to smolder so it adds that true Santa Maria flavor to the tritip.
IMG_0073.jpg

Throw the tritip onto the drum
IMG_0083.jpg

Croutons are done!
IMG_0084.jpg

The tritip is done at 140IT, let it rest 20 mins. Gorgeous color!
IMG_0105.jpg

Sliced! Lookin real gooooood!
IMG_0111.jpg

Now assemble the sandwich. Toast the sourdough bread slices, slather on some horseradish mayo, then add red onion sliced thin, sliced tomatoes, sliced tritip and top with aged Vermont sharp cheddar cheese. Add Dijon mustard or Guldens Spicy brown mustard to the top slice of sourdough toast.
IMG_0115.jpg

Now put it under a broiler to melt the cheese!!!! BP's a genious!
IMG_0117.jpg

Plated! With homemade Cream of Tomato soup topped with shredded Parmesan, Romano and Asiago cheeses and the sourdough Desert Gold croutons...
On a cold night, absolutely heaven on a plate!

IMG_0120.jpg

Last edited:

RickB

Ok kids i knew what day it was. Had way too much going on between the four companies i have, scott from pigskin visiting getting the trailer ready for vista. I knew that if i posted on friday evening that there would be pms and posts about the contest. But with the low turn out recently especially this week we may go every other week. Lets watch the cook count for the next week or so

Probably just the holidays BP. I know I havent entered in three or four weeks. Just to much on my plate. Seems every free moment is planned. Bet it gets back to normal after the first of the year.

Ffvillager

AND THE WINNERS ARE:

CONTESTANTS:
FLBENTRIDER. TWO TRITIPS
COWDOG. RAINY DAY CHILI
SCALLYWAG. MUSHROOM BERNAISE PANKO STEAK

3 contestants this week and they covered some of my favorites steak for any time of the year and chili for these terribly cold winters here in Florida.
HERE WE GO:
THIRD PLACE. COWDOG RAINY DAY CHILI how does it get any better than this----except when you introduces bit of heavenly smoke.
SECOND PLACE. FJBENTRIDER TWO TRITIPS. the only wat this could have been any better is if you would have sent one to me. We don't get TRITIPS in my part of Fl. They looked awfully good.
FIRST PLACE. SCALLYWAG. MUSHROOM BERNAISE PANKO STEAKS. THAT LOOKED AWESOME. i wish I could have been there to partake in some of that. The BERNAISE/mushroom sauce put this over the top. CONGRATS SCALLYWAG.

Thanks to all, including BP. I think we all have the holidays and the tragedy in Newtown on our mind which tended to suppress the number of entrants, but those that were submitted were superb.
A BIG MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

Patrick_CT

Congrats to the winners.. i did not even get a mention :( .. i need to take better pics and more of them :)

BP I think this was a tough week for a lot of people and will get more in the next weeks!

scooter

I just emailed the judge and requested a reevaluation of the winner taking in all entrees not just the first 3. Dave (dpom) entered but only put a link to his "private" album. I can't get to it without a password so I assume Ffvillager can't see them either. I emailed Dave to let him know his images are in a private album that apparently are not reachable by anyone other than Dave himself.

Ffvillager, please wait until dpom resolves his image issue so you can judge all 6 entrees.

Top Bottom