Christmas prime rib and ABTs

scooter

I used only drums this year. Christmas morning was at home, Christmas dinner at my brother Rick's house. He asked me to smoke a rib roast and some ABT's and bring it over. No problem!! The drums got the nod!
Here's how Christmas day went chronicled in pics.

Rick provided me a 19lb USDA Prime boneless rib roast! Here it is all trimmed, seasoned and trussed.
IMG_0162.jpg

Trussing it kept it in a nice round shape for even cooking
IMG_0168.jpg

On the SS EDS at around 275 in the center and used red oak wood for flavor
IMG_0170.jpg

Time to open presents with Mrs scooter and my daughters
IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Had a nice breakfast of eggs, Nueske's bacon, hash browns and sourdough toast. Now it's time to flip and rotate the roast.
IMG_0180.jpg

Time to get the ABT's started
IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Cut in half, blanched, stuffed with onion & chive cream cheese, sprinkled with Bacon Jalapeno Maple rub, wrapped with bacon that was rubbed with brown sugar and secured with a toothpick then given another sprinkle with the rub. Put them on the black EDS while the roast was on the SS EDS.
IMG_0184-1.jpg

Continued

Last edited:

scooter

Continued

Roast is done at 137IT. Look at that drum crust!! Didn't see the point in searing it so left it like that. Let it rest for 45 mins uncovered. The push ended at 145IT. Wrapped up with towels and put into the cooler to wait until dinner time.
IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

The ABTs are done as well. Pack them up with the roast in the cooler for the trip over to Rick's house.
IMG_0195.jpg

Over at Rick's. Their table was beautiful
IMG_0201.jpg

Handsome boy "Pepper" with his red Christmas tie on!
IMG_0205.jpg

Rick's son Beau and daughter April. That's my daughter in the background who turned 21 on the 18th....I'll have to keep an eye on her for sure! lol
IMG_0202.jpg

Sorry, none of the carving pics turned out so we pick up the action at the table. R-L, my youngest Taylor, older brother Mike, Mom and Dad, Beau's fiance Alyssa, Beau, my older daughter Amanda, Rick's grandaughter Jayla.
IMG_0214.jpg

plated pic! Served with shaved brussel sprouts sauted with bacon fat and chopped bacon and apple cider, sweet brown sugar carrots sauted with jalapenos, grilled asparagus, jalapeno scalloped potatoes! Fantastic!!!!
IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Two desserts on the same plate, (Left) triple chocolate layer (white choc, milk choc, dark choc) mousse cake with pistachio creme anglais and (right) the other slice was chocolate caramel-almond tart!

IMG_0226-1.jpg

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Nice See what I mean about searing and roasts? It just burns the great smoke bark...if it was a good idea to sear all comp cooks would sear a brisket! just a five star cook Scooter!

scooter

Yep, the drum lays down a great crust on everything pretty much eliminating the need for a sear! It's amazing how such a simple cooker can be so versatile and produce product like it can.

TentHunter

scooter said:
Look at that drum crust!! Didn't see the point in searing it so left it like that.

For larger cuts like rib or loin roasts I just don't sear anymore. The crust always seems to be great like it is.

Scooter that whole cook looks superb!

Kite

Thanks for sharing scooter.. the family love really shows through your pictures, really nice. And that roast looks good enough to kill for!

RickB

There are many things that can be said about your post, the photography might be the best I have seen here. The cook is Superb! But most of all it’s about the story. Reading your post and looking at the pictures I was looking for my name on the dinner cards. What a great family and a great holiday celebration. I guess it is all about the journey and your post walked us through it. All I can say is it doesn’t get much better that this! Well done.

P.S. Nice tie job on the roast! :)

Happy New Year!

Rick

Last edited:
Top Bottom