Pizza

68sting

I found a recipe for thin crust pizza and thought I would give it ago. It turned out really good. Here's link to the recipe if anyone is interested. I copied every step includine the sauce and cheese.

Video: New York-Style Pizza at Home - America's Test Kitchen

pizza.jpg

pizza2.jpg

Last edited:

Kite

looks good, thanks for the link! Pizza is something I have not tried yet!

Oh my gosh! Kristen - you will not want to cook anything else after making a pizza on a smoker. They are that good! Just be sure to use a pizza stone and preheat the thing before you put the pizza on it. I generally preheat my stone in the oven while the grill is heating up - I think the oven does a better job in a shorter period of time than the grill does.

TentHunter

68STing, Even though I'm not a huge fan of New York style thin crust, that pizza looks simply amazing. I love the rustic look. I'd eat a slice of that in a heartbeat!

Kite said:
Oh my gosh! Kristen - you will not want to cook anything else after making a pizza on a smoker. They are that good! Just be sure to use a pizza stone

What Kite said X2, with one exception... The pizza stone can be great, but is not necessary. It really depends on how you like your crust.

A pizza stone gives you a drier crispy crust (the stone actually pulls moisture from the dough to make it crisp).

Some folks prefer putting the pizza directly on the grates or GrillGrates, which gives you a really cripsy and slightly smokier crust.

Around our house we tend to prefer a thicker pan style crust, so we use a pizza pan with lots of olive oil and absolutely love the results.

Whichever way you choose, like Kite said, once you taste pizza off the grill, you won't want it cooked any other way. It tastes just like it came out of a wood fired brick oven.

Last edited:

TentHunter

I don't really have a special recipe. 68Sting has a link at the top for "America's Test Kitchen" website. That's a good place to start. Also look at the Deep Dish Pizza thread in the "Hall of Fame Recipes" section and/or the original thread: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/deep-dish-pizza-423/

For a different kind of crust, once in a while we'll make this: Herbed Beer Pizza Crust

But honestly, what we do most often is take our pizza pans down to our local pizza shop and have them make us up a couple of take & bake pizzas to go (we take olive oil with us to brush on the pans).

Last edited:

scooter

The place I used to buy pizzas from now sells me their fresh dough in balls. $4 for 2 large dough balls. Bring it home and make my own.

TrickyDick

I love pizza! I have a different tool for baking it though. I've chimed up a few times about this, but since there is a thread, I'll post again for those new and who missed it.

Several years back I heard about this guy obsessed with pizza, and how to bake it at home. Jeff Varasano is his name. He has a web page (and now apparently a restaurant). For those interested, google it, and read. It is a VERY long and detailed webpage (just one page for the pizza making). After reading this, and acquiring some sourdough cultures from Italy, I've made some the of the very best pizza I've ever eaten, and I have eaten a LOT of pizza. In a nutshell, its all about the dough, and no matter how much reading you do, nothing is a replacement for experience.

Planing to fire up the pizza oven tonight for a few pies myself!

TD

68sting

I don't really have a special recipe. 68Sting has a link at the top for "America's Test Kitchen" website. That's a good place to start. Also look at the Deep Dish Pizza thread in the "Hall of Fame Recipes" section and/or the original thread: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/deep-dish-pizza-423/

For a different kind of crust, once in a while we'll make this: Herbed Beer Pizza Crust

But honestly, what we do most often is take our pizza pans down to our local pizza shop and have them make us up a couple of take & bake pizzas to go (we take olive oil with us to brush on the pans).

I'll check out the Hall of Fame recipes. Thanks

The place I used to buy pizzas from now sells me their fresh dough in balls. $4 for 2 large dough balls. Bring it home and make my own.

I plan on trying that but my wife tells me thats cheating.lol

I love pizza! I have a different tool for baking it though. I've chimed up a few times about this, but since there is a thread, I'll post again for those new and who missed it.

Several years back I heard about this guy obsessed with pizza, and how to bake it at home. Jeff Varasano is his name. He has a web page (and now apparently a restaurant). For those interested, google it, and read. It is a VERY long and detailed webpage (just one page for the pizza making). After reading this, and acquiring some sourdough cultures from Italy, I've made some the of the very best pizza I've ever eaten, and I have eaten a LOT of pizza. In a nutshell, its all about the dough, and no matter how much reading you do, nothing is a replacement for experience.

Planing to fire up the pizza oven tonight for a few pies myself!

TD

I just joined pizzamaking.com and wow there's alot more to making pizza then I thought. They use 1/2" steel plates and jerry rig there ovens to cook on clean mode to get 700-800 degree temps. I have a kamado that can hit some high temps. I'm going to play with that this weekend.

Those look good.

Thanks

Top Bottom