Smoked Ground Beef Chile Rellenos

CarterQ

Haven't posted here in forever, sometimes that silly thing called life gets in the way and you end up taking a few unexpected detours! While I have been cooking, i really haven't done much that is post worthy or interesting. I did forget how much I missed this place so with that I'll try and get back in the swing of things-

I was in Texas awhile back and had the privilege of visiting Del Norte Tacos, this place does great smoked mexican food (brisket tacos, smoked chicken enchilada etc). One item that blew me away was their Smoked ground beef Chile Relleno, so I decided to see if I could get close to making the same thing at home-

Started with some 90/10 ground sirloin broken up in my Weber veggie pan and on the MAK at 200

file.jpg

Smoked for about 45 minutes and set aside

file-1.jpg

Ran the MAK up to High and Roasted some Pasilla chiles over the flame zone to help remove the skin

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

After the Chiles are done, tossed the, in a bag to let them sweat

file-4.jpg

While the chiles are sweating sauteed the onions, tomato, garlic, and added the ground beef. Seasoned it with Williams Fajita, Cayenne, and some cumin.

file-5.jpg

Cleaned all the skin off the chiles, slit them up the side and cleaned out the seeds and veins

file-6.jpg

Stuffed them with 1/2 meat mix and 1/2 cheese and closed with toothpicks

file-7.jpg

Dusted them with flour

file-9.jpg

Made the egg batter using whipped egg whites with the yolk whipped back in

file-8.jpg

Chiles into the egg and then into the cast iron pan with hot oil (I would normally do this on my MAK griddle but it cold and dark outside so we kept it in the kitchen)

file-10.jpg

All done

file-11.jpg

Plated up with beans and spanish rice and a nice home brewed red ale and we are ready to go-

file-12.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-14.jpg

Overall it was pretty good, didn't hit the target I was aiming for but it still was passable. Beef seemed a little over smoked and the seasoning was a little meh, so I would adjust both if I did these again.

Last edited:

scooter

I love your cook CarterQ! I would add some mole sauce to them. Kicks them up! You got a great roast on those chilis!

RickB

Throw the ones you don't eat my way! I love rellenos fried but my wife.......well you know the drill. Nice to see ya back.

Rick

RickB

I love your cook CarterQ! I would add some mole sauce to them. Kicks them up! You got a great roast on those chilis!

I'm with you on the mole...but lord it takes all day to make a good mole. Ahhh another 23 months till I have time to make some!

Big Poppa

Administrator
actually I would not use a mole sauce...Mole is a very heavy sauce and the best sauce would be a lighter sauce that allowed the roasted pepper and meat mix to shine The sauce should add moisture and compliment the relleno. When I try an alleged great mexican restaurant I order the chili relleno first. The sauce should be delicate and light...sort of light orange to pink...the egg must be uniform and fluffy bot not too thick... and not soggy Mole can be a blanket over the flavor it is however very good with braised meat Just probably needed a little kick...

Welcome back my friend and lets hope life doesnt get in the way anymore!

Top Bottom