Gentlemen Start Your Smokers!

TentHunter

Hey Will & BP, best of luck to both of you.

I know you guys will be busy, but try not to forget us poor saps who live vicariously through pics! ;)

Meat Man

Kind of a long way to travel for a BBQ lesson. We didn't do too well, but we learned a ton. One call in chicken. On the bright side though, the girls received two second place calls in dessert and anything butt.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I dont know the lesson...other than tables....One call too...Deserved Chicken, ribs got hit and brisket got hammered for absolutely no reason.

Matt Dalton

The lesson is when there is a cbj class the day before you'd better get ready for some weird scoring..I've seen it happen numerous times..this one was no different.

JD McGee

The lesson is when there is a cbj class the day before you'd better get ready for some weird scoring..I've seen it happen numerous times..this one was no different.

You ain't wrong there Matt...funny how the team (up here) doin' the cbj class cookin' won the comp the next day too...lol!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Herb's herbs

There were actually very few 1st time judges at Havasu...at the class, when they were asked who was judging the competition, I think there were about 5 that held up their hands...compare that to the number of judges that were there, and the number of judging tables, and any 1st time judges are inconsequential comparatively...especially since the low scores are thrown out.

Matt Dalton

There were actually very few 1st time judges at Havasu...at the class, when they were asked who was judging the competition, I think there were about 5 that held up their hands...compare that to the number of judges that were there, and the number of judging tables, and any 1st time judges are inconsequential comparatively...especially since the low scores are thrown out.

Ok but it's not the low scores that effect the outcome..it's the generous 9's..I was in a local restaurant and heard a few guys who just took the class and were judging the following day..some crazy stuff was overheard from them..either way I'm not complaining about our scores..we were where we end up most of the time anyway..I was giving BP some sympathy..hahahaha!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I should clarify my post as I re read it... I got what I deserved in chicken....no complaints...ribs...meeehhh our presentation sucked but taste and tenderness were our norm we arent bad rib cookers...pork could have gotten first or tenth...it was really good with a great box....brisket is what I took issue with all nines and an 8 in appearance and just hammered us on taste...it was a good brisket...This is what you get when you sign up for comp bbq...Im fine with it. I can tell you though that I did not hit any overscoring table.....and really what Im saying is that I got what I deserved in three categories. I have to cook better across the four meats. Look at the GC one call.

SCoring is like handicaps in golf...everybody talks about the sandbagger...the one with a higher handicap than he deserves but the more common issue is the guy with the too low of a handicap so he can brag...I think the bigger probblem in bbq is the overjudging that affects the differences in tables. Either way we get our share of breaks too....

Matt Dalton

I couldn't agree more!..very well stated..honestly I think they like dry brisket there..everytime it's been juicy we've got hit...oh we'll like you said this is comp Q.

Top Bottom