Chris Lilly's Spicy Apricot Wings

Stone

I promised to post some additional details so here it goes.

These wings are crowd pleasers every time, Mr. Lilly has a good thing going with this recipe. I usually double the recipe as my four kids (who formerly didn't like wings) will clear the first couple if dozen. I follow the recipe except for the heat, I either half or quarter what is called for or sub out the cayenne for the favorite hot sauce du jour.

First off, all ingredients go into the Marinade Express. (Big Poppa was right, you will love this thing if you get one. This unit is a BBQ enabler. You can marinade for 20 mins and get a deeper penetration than a 3 day soak.
Sauce ingredients on one side, wings on the other.)

View attachment 1945

Pull the vacuum and then let tumble for 20 minutes. While the wings tumble, set the smoker (MAK 2 Star) to 450 F. No flame zone (flame zone covers on).
View attachment 1946View attachment 1947

Once the smoker is up to temp, put the wings on. View attachment 1948

Key tip on this: don't set it and forget it with this recipe at this temp. I keep the lid down for ~6 mins at a time, then turn and move the wings around based on how they look and finding the right hot or cool spots on the cooking area.

I got distracted and let these go for 10 minutes between the last turn an ended up with a couple of meteorites at the hot spots. So keep an eye on them. You may even want to try the top rack to avoid the immediate heat.

Here's the finished product from this batch. They didn't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter

I agree, that recipe produces some of the best wings I've had. Mr Lilly has a winner with that recipe!

Kite

I am not a wing fan (way too much work for such a small amount of meat), but those do look great!

TrickyDick

I've made this recipe twice and agree, it's great! I might kick up the heat a touch next time, or try even a coating of the traditional buffalo sauce on top of the finished product.

TentHunter

I agree with the others, they look good and this wing recipe has a lot of appeal. I need to give it a try!

Thanks for re-posting with more details, Stone.

Top Bottom