Contest Scooter is the judge...make him work! Make him sweat! Enter!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok Scooter won last week with a fabulous carne asada.....Now its to make the judge judge!

first place $25 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
second place $15 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
third place $10 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

$5 for every other entry!

Kite

Rib eye with fries, my oh my

Bought a choice rib eye today at Cash and Carry (Smokinman88 – they are like $6.29/lb – it was about $100 for a full boneless rib eye – VERY fresh) and cut it into steaks (sorry, no butcher picks – too messy for one person to butcher and take pics). Anyway, kept out the ends for a little informal meal. Started with some BP Double Secret Steak rub

DSC03540_zps736f9456.jpg

Fired up the Memphis to 275 and put ‘em on for 30 minutes to get a little flavor on and warm ‘em up a bit. Then into a ripping hot skillet with some peanut oil for a quick sear on all sides

DSC03548_zps3dbeaab1.jpg

Meanwhile, started cutting up the fries

DSC03541_zpsc16f309c.jpg

Everyone into the pool (peanut oil again – I LOVE the taste it imparts)

DSC03544_zps29bc8682.jpg

Fries are done.. oh my, can’t keep out of these things!!

DSC03545_zpsbbb7fb52.jpg

Plated and ready to eat…

DSC03549_zps66aa21d1.jpg

Mrs. Kite says “you better put mine back on, it is too red” .. not to worry honey, it is just freshly butchered. Judging from her moans as she was eating, I would say it was a hit!!

soupyjones

the weather is finally up to around freezing so I can play this week! January in Canada needs some warmth so I made some Mole chicken chilli. Started with my base stuff that got no Traeger love.
DSC05207_zpsdfc58977.jpg

Got all of that going and left it alone for a few hours. Then I got my veggies and chicken ready to go. I have some bell, Anaheim and Serrano peppers, and my mole rubbed chicken all ready to go.
DSC05208_zps51226911.jpg

On to the Traeger with some Tomatillos for a green salsa.
DSC05209_zps69e0b4d3.jpg

Off and ready to go for a swim.
DSC05210_zps0df09640.jpg

Everybody in!
DSC05213_zpsf2ba2e30.jpg

Got a bowl with some avacado and my tomatillo salsa (that I forgot to take pics of) and a chunk of conbread my wife made.
DSC05216_zps65ac196b.jpg

Add a big glass of milk and it was comfort food 101. Thanks for looking.

7sanders

First Tri-tip and a mystery pork loin

On a recent trip to a beef plant, the hubby brought home some pre-marinaded tri-tips.
2013-01-23150144_zps3f0a74e4.jpg

Then, I figured as long as we were firing up the smoker, might as well make use of all that space, so pulled out some "mystery" pork loin - got a case of these awhile back, not sure what the exact cut is, some sort of a loin that is boneless. Rubbed the loin with Plowboys Yardbird.

2013-01-23150131_zpsa12f3268.jpg

Warmed up the Yoder with mesquite pellets (all we had on hand... time to stock up!) and on goes the tri-tip and the pork.

2013-01-23150739_zpsc04bcf2e.jpg

2013-01-23150734_zps0acc0302.jpg

Smoked at 225-250 for a little less than 2 hours and pulled when IT was 140. Lightly wrapped in foil and rested for probably 30 minutes (waiting on the hubby to get home from work).

Here is the tri-tip:
2013-01-23175515_zps77950cbe.jpg

and the mystery pork:
2013-01-23165108_zps05d29c8a.jpg

Plated with some pasta salad, baked beans, and some bread (and half eaten...my crowd was hungry!):
2013-01-23180846_zps753a3fa4.jpg

oh so juicy!
2013-01-23180859_zps1c939e04.jpg

Both cuts of meat were fabulous... but the flavor of the rubs really didn't go well together, but we just couldn't resist trying both! The younger kids thought the pork with the Plowboys was a bit on the spicy side.

Even throwing on mystery meat results in some seriously great tasting BBQ. Looking forward to leftovers all week!

Chili Head

Grilled walleye with bacon wrapped green beans.
sabehega.jpg

Here we go!

I seasoned the fish a few different ways today. Some got a soileaus dusting, some got big poppa smokers desert gold and some got an old bay,parmasean,butter,garlic and mayo seasoning.
apuru4as.jpg

The mayo seasoning started like this.
A good tablespoon mayo, one garlic clove minced,a half tablespoon of old bay and a teaspoon of soft butter.
vu3ugy9e.jpg

Mix it well then add some parmesean cheese.
atyqe3u5.jpg

my9yvy5a.jpg

I wrapped eight green beans in a half strip of bacon and seasoned them with desert gold.
8y7ureje.jpg

The weather here in Illinois is sucking bad today..rain turning to sleet then snow tonight so I moved the MAK into the porch.
eja4eqy6.jpg

While the beans are cooking I got the fish ready to go on.
I didn't have bread crumbs so I made some out of salad croutons.
The breadcrumbs went over the mayo parm seasoning.
u2unu3a5.jpg

qabemare.jpg

2y3yrypy.jpg

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

The green beans are done now its time for the fish.
arypyze5.jpg

I cut some mango to grill as well. These got a treatment of brown sugar before they went on.
I really really love grilled fruit!
ega2ybuv.jpg

ega3u8uz.jpg

Aight now! Everything is done lets plate er up!
Here's the wife's plate. She has some fish, green beans and some mango.
uvy9u6u3.jpg

My plate got the mayo seasoned fish with bread crumbs, some soileaus seasoned fish and some desert gold seasoned fish. All three were fantastic! I love grilled fish even better than fried now. The green beans were excellent! This is the first time I made them this way and they didn't disappoint. I think next time ill wrap six beans instead of eight so they cook more evenly.
qy8epupy.jpg

davynesy.jpg

6anedeta.jpg

I'll wrap it up now I gotta get ready for work..thanks for looking!

TentHunter

I was really hoping to be in the contest this week. Not gonna happen - fighting off an upper respiratory infection & staying away from smoke. :(

RickB

Lamb Chops

With Butternut risotto and Sautéed Kale

Get the chop marinade going

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Onto the lamb racks

IMG_1715.jpg

Let those sit for an hour

Gonna steam some butternut squash

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

Let’s blanch the Kale

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

Let’s get the risotto going

IMG_1726.jpg

A rare picture..My wife cooking

IMG_1730.jpg

Making her stir the risotto

Add the purred squash

IMG_1724.jpg

Lamb on the grill..hers first

IMG_1732.jpg

Mine next

IMG_1733.jpg

Lets cook the Kale

A little olive oil some red wine vinegar and some honey. Then throw in some roasted pine nuts.

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

Lambs done

IMG_1738.jpg

Lets plate this bad boy

IMG_1741.jpg

Enjoy!

Scallywag

Spicy Quesadillas

Wanted some heat tonight.. Started like this..
IMG_4977.jpg

Marinated for an hour...
IMG_4978-1.jpg

Smoke for 30 mins and bump to 35o till done..
IMG_4979-1.jpg

Ground up some cumin and added to the peppers and onions with some paprika
IMG_4980-1.jpg
IMG_4982-1.jpg

Meat is done.. lets build this...
Some refried beans .. peppers and onions.. meat and Habanero Cheese..
IMG_4983.jpg
IMG_4984.jpg

Back on to melt and crisp up..
IMG_4985.jpg

Plated up..
IMG_4986.jpg

Tasty and really spicy!! Thanks for looking!!

jimsbarbecue

Quick chicken

This recipe works with boneless skinless thighs or breasts. Was made for the thighs
Making a marinade. 1 teaspoon coriander, half teaspoon cumin seeds.4 tablespoons oil ( i use grape seed) 2 chipotle peppers in adobo. this will do 4 pieces of chicken. After you marinade (30 minutes is fine) salt and pepper or add spice to taste, but honestly they are good just with the marinade.

Yesterday cooked the thighs on the Traeger Jr at 375 using the grill pan and one thigh on the rack. Today cooked the breast on the MAK at 400 (which is preferred ) Two in the grill pan and two on grill grates

This is very easy and flavorful. Just a little heat, most guest will be fine with it.

IMG_2130-L.jpg

IMG_2129-L.jpg

IMG_2122-L.jpg

IMG_2124-L.jpg

IMG_2131-L.jpg

You will notice the hotter heat when using the MAK gave nicer grill marks , the taste was the same. Good enough that extras got made for lunches this week.

MossyMO

3 Eyz Tri-tip and a Tatonka Dust Tri-tip

Had a couple of tri-tips to do and looking for a little variation applied different seasonings, 3 Eyz and then also Tatonka Dust to the tri-tips and fridged them individually wrapped over night.

-----

-----

Gave the tri-tips some oak/charcoal smoke for 2 hours with the grill running at 150º.

-----

Turned up the grill to 250º and added a potato/veggie mix with fresh minced garlic.

-----

Towards the end of the cook added some garlic toast.

-----

Tri-tips were cooked to 140º and foiled for a half hour rest before slicing.

Here is the tri-tip seasoned with 3 Eyz.

-----

Here is the tri-tip seasoned with Tatonka Dust.

-----

Her's and his plates...

-----

-----

Close up!

Thanks for looking!

fishingbouchman

Can't enter this week. Wife had me moving all weekend. Only action the mak got was a ride in the back of the pickup. Nice looking meals though

CarterQ

Satisfying Artichoke Cravings

Was really wanting Artichokes all week, so tonight went with a theme dinner-

Decided to do an Artichoke heart stuffed chicken breast and grilled artichokes.

Start with the chicken stuffing-

Heat some olive oil, thyme, and crushed red red pepper

file.jpg

add chopped artichoke hearts, garlic, and salt and pepper and simmer for few minutes

file-1.jpg

Next comes chopped sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and goat cheese

file-2.jpg

Mix it up

file-3.jpg

Let the stuffing mix cool and prep the chicken, using boneless skinless breasts here

file-4.jpg

Pound them out thin

file-5.jpg

Add the stuffing mix

file-6.jpg

Fold the meat over and secure with toothpicks and then hit them with some olive oil and Desert Gold (sliced some tenders off the breast and hit them with DG for the kiddos)

file-7.jpg

Next put some beautiful "frost kissed" (aka brown) Artichokes into the steamer for about 30 minutes

file-8.jpg

Chicken breasts onto the MAK over the flame zone

file-9.jpg

Cleaned up the Chokes and hit them with olive oil and Desert Gold

file-10.jpg

Breasts and tenders pretty much done, chokes on the grill

file-11.jpg

Chicken done

file-12.jpg

Chokes done

file-13.jpg

All plated up

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

This came out great- by far the best stuffed chicken recipe I have tried to date, all of the flavors blended perfectly and they weren't too heavy to boot. All in all a wonderful meal.

Last edited:

scooter

OK, here are the results from this weekends cook. Nine participants. Since I, unfortunately, couldn't taste anything I looked at multiple visual criteria to decide this weeks top 3 spots. I looked for a great money shot, what was plated with the meat, camera skills including lighting and composition, how well you explained how you got from raw ingredients to the finished product and level of difficulty. I also gave extra points if you used BPS products in your entry, gave a recipe or if your entry was "out of the box" or humorous in some way. So it wasn't just about a great money shot, there was more to it than that. You all had fun presenting but this needed to be fun for the judge as well. :)
Since there were multiple ways to earn points I kept everyones cook on an Excel spreadsheet with all the different scoring criteria in columns and the spreadsheet tabulated everyones score and it picked the winner according to highest cumulative score.

Here are the participants:
Kite - Rib eye with fries, my oh my
soupyjones - Mole chicken chilli
7sanders - First Tri-tip and a mystery pork loin
Chili Head - Grilled walleye with bacon wrapped green beans.
RickB - Lamb Chops With Butternut risotto and Sautéed Kale
Scallywag - Spicy Quesadillas
jimsbarbecue - Quick chicken
MossyMo - 3 Eyz Tri-tip and a Tatonka Dust Tri-tip
CarterQ - Artichoke heart stuffed chicken breast and grilled artichokes

Here are the top 3 place holders:

3rd: CarterQ - Artichoke heart stuffed chicken breast and grilled artichokes

2nd: Chili Head - Grilled walleye with bacon wrapped green beans

1st: RickB - Lamb Chops With Butternut risotto and Sautéed Kale

soupyjones

Nice work to all the entries this week. Thanks for judging Scooter and thanks for letting us play BP. Congrats to all the winners.

RickB

Thanks for the call Scooter! Congrats to Chili and Carter, both cooks were exceptional. To all those who entered keep up the good work. And as usuall thanks BP for the playground and it's always fun getting in your pocket! ;)

Top Bottom