Kicking the C-C-Cold with Some Jamaican jerk!

TentHunter

This past Tuesday it was bitterly cold and windy, even for N.E. Ohio! The warmest it got all day was about 8° with a windchill of -8°. School was cancelled due to windchill advisory & frostbite warning, the wife was off work, So I wanted to do something on the grill to warm things up a bit.

Let's see, we had a pork butt & pack of salad shrimp that need to be used, and I'm thinking a taste trip to someplace warm & sunny is in order...

Jamaica, Here we come!

Jerk Pork & Shrimp Fritters

I mixed up some Jerk Marinade. Deeply score both sides of an 8 lb pork butt & marinated for a bit.
JRKPRK01.JPG

For some of that pimento wood flavor, let's get my super secret Jamaican pellet blend ready: ;)
PimWood1JPG.JPG

Add these to the hopper first then top with more pellets.

Onto the MAK in smoke mode for a while, then bumped the pit temp to 275°
JRKPRK03.JPG

The grill stayed in the shed out of the wind!
JRKPRK04.JPG

After 3 hours or so, time to braise: into a pan with the rest of the marinade and covered tightly.
JRKPRK05.JPG

Jerk Pork is DONE! To serve just use some tongs to pull big chunks off.
JRKPRK06.JPG

Don't waste those pan drippings, they're full of flavor! Separate the fat, add a little brown sugar, reduce & thicken with a bit of starch to make a great Jerk sauce!
JRKPRK07.JPG

We also fried up some shrimp fritters:
SHRFRT01.JPG

Now don't dat look good, Mon [Insert Caribbean accent here]?
JRKPRK08.JPG

Last edited:

scooter

Haha! Great cook Tent! Thanks for the trip! Could you smell the allspice in the smoke even maybe on the meat?

TentHunter

Could you smell the allspice in the smoke even maybe on the meat?

Yes, it's a really good trick to get that authentic flavor and smell. The Pimento Berries (allspice) makes the whole backyard (if not the whole neighborhood) smell incredible!

Top Bottom