Turkey Meatloaf - hot and fast

squirtthecat

Miserable day outside... 28° and dropping, 30MPH wind gusts, and spitting snow. Let's smoke some meatloaf!

2.5 pounds ground turkey, chopped roasted red/yellow pepper, chopped sweet onion, fresh mushrooms busted up, bread crumbs, 2 eggs (1 eggbeater), glug of EVOO, 1/4 cup of Carolina Treet, some Goya, Lemon Pepper and a few shakes of parsley.

Oh, and about 3 T of Mies to get it nice and sticky.

After 20 minutes in the fridge, form into a 'meat loaf patty' right on a Frogmat. The Bradley rack helps me hoist it on/off the grill.

20101130175059.jpg

I need to bring some heat to this one, so it is going in the MiniMAK. (not to mention, I'm curious how it well it runs in the cold/wind)

Setpoint at 370°. Temperature at grate around 360° or so. I'll shut it down when the IT reaches around 165°.

Stay tuned...

Deb

Love turkey meatloaf!

My bradley racks spend more time in the Traeger than they do in the Bradley these days.

squirtthecat

The Bradley racks are handy for this kind of stuff... And they fit nicely in the dishwasher. I even use them in my buddy's big STUMPs smoker.

Normally, I do this same meatloaf at 250-275° in the Traeger, but I'm changing it up to see how well it works at the rocket temps. (same recipe calls for 400° in the oven)

I just need to keep an eye on the Maverick so it doesn't overshoot..

squirtthecat

And here we go... Took about and hour and 45 minutes. Wind is wreaking havoc outside.

20101130200618.jpg

Plated w/ leftover green bean casserole from Thanksgiving (the last - thank god) and some cheater garlic mashed potatoes.

20101130201822.jpg

Not bad at all.

squirtthecat

It was very tasty, but it will be even better today after a night in the fridge.

The recipe is from Real Simple magazine, and I've modified it heavily.

The MiniMAK did good. But I can see that I need to invest in pellet futures... It ate a ton of them trying to maintain those high temps!

squirtthecat

Perhaps a hopper extender could be fabricated, much like the one you have for your Traeger?

Interesting. The hopper door on the 1 Start opens from the left and goes right up against the lid. If I could get that thing off (blasted rivets, Mak Daddy!) - I could have a HUGE hopper topper fabricated for it.

I think I'll be Ok with the 20 pound capacity, though. I had a 10 pound bag of Pecan in it from last weekend's 'auger time' testing, and the last night's smoke + 2 hours at 375° pretty much decimated it.

We'll have another marathon 'baby it's cold outside' test this Friday night (running well into Saturday morning)... Stay tuned. :cool:

Top Bottom