Cooking on a salt block

jimsbarbecue

IMG_2134-L.jpg

Cooking some fish on a salt block on the MAK. First use , not bad it does add some salt flavor so none is needed in the spice. Now that it made it through one heat cycle next time will cook with the MAK set on high.

Kite

Okay, this is a new one on me. My common sense (okay, what little I have..) says that it would dry the fish out. Was that the case? Why did you chose to do this in the first place, what was your thinking about the process? I'm not being argumentative, just wanting to learn about what you did and why you did it - I have never heard of this.

jimsbarbecue

Just something new I am trying. My understanding is the heat range to use is between 400-1000 and hotter is better. The lower temps apparently make to food absorb more salt. The fish was a little salty, I did season the the fish which added some salt and the block added more, it did not dry out the fish. I will try it on the drum with the charcoal basket in the raised position next and cook some beef.

scooter

There's a whole science behind salt blocks and cooking although it's mostly in high end restaurants where it's employed. Not all cooking salts are created equal and I'm sure BP knows about it because the salt in his rubs looks like the good stuff to me.

Top Bottom