Pigs tooth pork butt.

BBQ Bill

Got a great deal on this 8 lb pork butt, a manger's special at $6.00 for the whole thing. Turned out it was like a box of cracker jacks, it came with a surprise inside. I bit down on a pigs tooth, almost took out one of my teeth. While the Rec Tec did a fantastic job on the meat, I wasn't happy about the tooth. I took the tooth to Fry's where I bought the meat, with out the receipt I showed the manager. He was very apologetic and told me to go grab any pork butt I wanted. Of course I had the grab the nicest one in the bunch, still only 9 lbs. This one was at the regular price of 28.00 bucks I told him the other one was $6.00 bucks but the manager said that's OK. In the end, the rest of the PB was fantastic & I got another one for the next time. I have to say, I am incredibly happy with the Rec Tec, this thing rocks. Also, I cooked the Butt to 203 degrees. What I realized is, at 185 you think it's drying out. That is not the case, when it reached 203 degrees the meat just started melting like butter. In the end, it was so incredibly tender & juicy. I don't know what's worse though, going through the stall or waiting for that last 15 degrees to come & go.

This pic is at 185 degrees.
405548978.jpg

This pic is at 203 degrees, done to perfection. Notice the difference in the bark & fat lines. It just melted at 203.
405549198.jpg

405549244.jpg

TentHunter

Hey Bill you can call that your lucky pigs tooth!

BBQ Bill said:
...I don't know what's worse though, going through the stall or waiting for that last 15 degrees to come & go.

As bad as the stall is, the last bit of time is worse because of the anticipation. That's when the magic is happening; the collagen & connective tissues are breaking down, the bark is starting to caramelize - filling the air with incredible aromas. You were already hungry but now the smell is driving you to insanity while you picture your self taking a huge bite out of that smoky, juicy, pulled pork laden bun!

Now I want some pulled pork! ;)

BBQ Bill

LOL you read my mind. Something else too, the manager told me they will send the tooth into a department that will investigate how the tooth made it into packaged product. Apparently they take situations like this very seriously. That was good to know that there are systems in place to deal with a situation like this & that they take it so seriously.

ACW3

Great looking bark!! I can almost smell the aroma. The pile o' pulled pork looks delicious!! Nice job!!

Art

Kite

LOL you read my mind. Something else too, the manager told me they will send the tooth into a department that will investigate how the tooth made it into packaged product. Apparently they take situations like this very seriously. That was good to know that there are systems in place to deal with a situation like this & that they take it so seriously.

Lawyers will do that to you.. I am certain that they feel they got off very cheap by giving you the best chunk of meat in the case. Certainly not wanting to start a flame war, but I feel this is a sad testament of our society. We have all heard the stories of the hot coffee burns at McDonalds..

BBQ Bill

I'm one of those that doesn't mind earning my way through life, not what I call an opper-screwnist. I couldn't live with myself if I took advantage of anyone like the McDonald's coffee fiasco, no matter how big the companies pocket book is. And actually the butt I got was the only one closest to the weight of the other one. I am glad that I didn't loose one of my own teeth biting down on it. Ate the rest of it, no ham, no fowl. (it's pork so no fowl was hurt LOL);)

I have a Brisket on now, If I hit a cows tooth all heII's breakin loose.

Last edited:

scooter

Are you sure it was a tooth and not just a tooth shaped chip of bone? I can't figure a tooth getting inside a butt.

Yeah, I love how a pork butt gets to that stage when I don't wrap them and just cook them the whole way without foil.

this one is from last Sunday. No foil, no mop. Just Money mixed 2 pts Money, 1 pt brown sugar like BP said. I did inject it with Harry Soo's injection recipe. This pic was at 204IT. When I tried to lift it off the grate the fat cap was attached to the grate and wouldn't release! I had to use a big spatula. So tender and juicy and the bark was crazy good! Money with brown sugar is a winner!!!
IMG_0377_zps6e583a07.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom