Whose your favorite big time BBQ Chef?

Big Poppa

Administrator
It seems with the crazy rise in popularity we are starting to see celeb chefs...like Myron and Johnny Who is your favorite?

I can tell you that after being on pitmasters Myron Mixon is not high on my list...He really was not nice or even remotely friendly....
I enjoy Johnny Trigg...Old School

KyNola

If we can't vote for you I would go with Johnny Trigg as well. Have never seen him in person but on all of the many shows I have seen him on he definitely knows his way around a pit and seems to be a pretty nice guy to boot.

Phrett Bender

I'd also go with Johnny Trigg. He takes no BS but has a sense of humor. He took the new, young kid under his belt in the first season and shared a wealth of knowlege. I spoke with him at the American Royal last October and he was willing to talk, didn't put on any airs, and seemed down to earth.

Candy Sue

I think the word "chef" is a misnomer here. Johnny is a great guy and a great barbeque cook, but he's not a chef. Byron Chisom (buttrub.com) is truly a chef as is Tuffy Stone (Cool Smoke). My opinion is that a chef is trained to do numerous cooking techniques and methods and has mastered same. Cooking good barbeque does not a chef make.

KimG SOW

Well guys I can tell you that you have picked a great choice. Johnny is one-of-a-kind. He definitely knows his way around a cooker. He and his wife Trish are one of the most wonderful couples around. And Johnny is a Hoot! Being in the midwest, we see them quite a bit at contests and love to go by and say hi.

As for my favorite BBQ Chef/Cook...... well that is a hard one. Don't know if I really have a 'favorite'. Many of them have different things to bring to the table and a lot of them are willing to talk/help/give pointers when they can.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Candy Sue Who is your favorite cook? I understand the difference between chef and cook...its just verbage people use...Its like calling BBQ a sport....I cant seem to get my arms around that one...Punt, Pass, and Brisket?

I'm not holding my breath for Mens Health to have a centerfold of the Atheltes from The Comp BBQ Circuit!

Candy Sue

My favorite bbq cook is usually whoever I'm talking to at the time. That's not a pass the buck answer -- BBQ Folks are just the Greatest! I feel so lucky to be in the BBQ business, work with those I love doing something I love and really enjoying the people I'm in touch with during the course of each day's business.

Right now, I have a soft spot in my heart for a newly departed BBQ Cook, Jimmy Parker, Cooking with Attitude. Never was a team name more appropriate for the cook. His wife Laurie had her own team, Laurie P's and she cooked the Jack a couple of years ago. If it's true that the good die young, who'd thunk that Jimmy was so good? Sure could whoop up on other BBQ cooks at contests and always fun and funny to be around. RIP - Jim Parker, Cooking with Attitude.

Thom Emery

Yea Chris Lilly great guy
Ray Lampe, DR BBQ is a interesting cat He will actually tell you the truth about anything you ask
David Boska of Butchers BBQ is one of the nicest people I ever cooked with
Cancer Sucks, Scottie good Dude went to the Jack with his team His family is fun also
Fast Eddy has taken the time to answer my questions on many a phone call
Trigg is the God Father.... nuff said........ Do not make him go into his boot
Harry Soo known him since his first cook off..... Genuine

jimsbarbecue

Met Harry Soo last summer and he seemed like a really nice down to earth guy.

I took Harry's class which is a bargain. I understand why he does well now and He is a nice guy. My favorite: May have to agree with Candy Sue here could be who I'm talking BBQ at the time with.

sparky

it would have to be my father. standing around the old charcoal grill (a thin metal square thing) using a chimney to start the coals unless he was in a hurry and then lighter fluid and a big fire. lol. i still don't let him forget it.

Top Bottom