Eye Round Roast

Jonathan

Smoked up my first eye-round roast. I basically followed FlBentRiders directions here on the forum. However, an ice cold winter rain started falling during the cook and I had a little bit of trouble with the high heat blast at the end of the cook. The MAK couldn't get the heat much above 415F and I made an error letting it go about three minutes longer than FlBentRider recommended. I ended up with the roast at closer to medium, rather than the rare I was looking for.

The entire meal consisted of a mixed green salad with walnuts, dried cranberry, goat feta, and a decent balsamic. Along with, eye round roast lightly sprinkled with Red Dirt, smoked scalloped potatoes, and cold smoked asparagus which was then roasted in olive oil with cracked sea salt and a fresh cracked pepper medley.

The lil man DEMANDED a diaper change at just the wrong time, so the asparagus also ended up a bit over cooked and limp. Dessert was fresh baked homemade bourbon-vanilla shortcakes with slow churned vanilla ice cream, strawberries, chocolate syrup, topped with heavy whipped cream. All and all, not my best effort, but pretty tasty considering I was cooking and managing my lil man!

Last edited:

51Phantom

Is the Eye of Round a nice cut of meat or does it just get nicer when you cook it low and slow?

Last edited:

TentHunter

Cold rain on any grill will sure suck the heat out of it in a hurry. Considering the weather, the fact that eye of round can be a tough cut to cook, then add your little guy needing attention, I'd say it's not a bad cook at all!

Those smoky scalloped potatoes sure look good too! I'd take a plate with no problems!

ACW3

I jusr bought a nice looking eye round. Plan to smoke it and cook low-and-slow. Pull at medium rare and let cool. Next, break out the slicer and slice it nice and thin. It's time to turn this into some Italian beef for some great sandwiches. Been thinking about doing this for a while. Soon!!

Art

Top Bottom