Why do they call BBQ a Sport?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I brought this up the the chef/cook thread but lets have fun with it.

People are referring to BBQ as the fastest growing sport.....They talk about our sport...
I dont get it......

Here is the definition of sport from Wikipedia

"A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In sports the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines or equipment. In contrast, games such as card games and board games, though these could be called mind sports and some are recognized as Olympic sports, require primarily mental skills and only mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation.

Physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first often define the result of a sport. However, the degree of skill and performance in some sports such as diving, dressage and figure skating is judged according to well-defined criteria. This is in contrast with other judged activities such as beauty pageants and body building, where skill does not have to be shown and the criteria are not as well defined."

Now before all of us atheletes get riled up Im just having fun with this...

But I dont think BBQ is on the Olympic horizon! I dont think that we will be seeing ESPN Fitness tips from Myron....

5 Hole

Great question....we can say the same thing with NASCAR (that's gonna make me real popular with some folks here!!) I don't think BBQ is a sport but I sure get the same type of adrenaline rush when we do well.

squirtthecat

BBQ is very physical! Pulling pork, spatchcocking chickens, foiling briskets, rubbing ribs...

(lugging pellets, scraping drip pans, etc. etc.)

Big Poppa

Administrator
Cool Silver Im just having a little fun! I talked to Trigg today (about the class we are putting on) and I was asking him for his exercise routine for ribs!

TentHunter

Hey we could fill a kiddie pool with pulled pork and have Tag Team Pro Pork Wrestling!

Would that count as a sport?

TentHunter

Now on a more serious note (not that I have many of those)...

I've not done competition, but I have catered a few bbq's & know how exhausting and incredibly hot it was; I can only imagine the amount of work and physical exhaustion involved in doing a comp. I bet its like a marathon. And there is also the teamwork aspect.

jimsbarbecue

If there is not a defensive athlete to athlete participation it is not a sport. So that does rule out Bowling, Fishing ,Golf and BBQ and others. It becomes Sports Entertainment!

HoDeDo

IT definately takes skill and stamina, to show up at a site, set up an entire kitchen, prep meat, move equipment, manage fires, electric, etc... and then cook meat, and present a minimum of 4 catagories... pack up and leave all within a 36 hr window.

I dont know many "sports" figures that could jump in and manage all those logistics and turn out product that is presentable... and still be awake come sat. afternoon for awards :)

The stamina we have is amazing....

Ok, I will quit laughing now.... and go to my room LOL

txpgapro

What's with this class with Trigg? Where, when, $$? Remember I live just down the road from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phrett Bender

I don't know of any sport where the results are decided not by a set of definite rules or guidelines, but by the varied opinions of different people who all have different tastes and have no standards to assign appropriate scores! It may be a competition, it may be a cookoff, but it has as much luck involved as the lottery!

SmokinMAK

I don't know of any sport where the results are decided not by a set of definite rules or guidelines, but by the varied opinions of different people who all have different tastes and have no standards to assign appropriate scores!

Unfortunately, I do. Many of the Olympic events rely on opinions of judges. Granted there are supposed to be guidelines, but have you ever seen a Russian or Chinese judge score an American significantly lower than the other judges on the panel?

Top Bottom