Fresh Ham??

bflodan

Thinking of smoking a fresh Kurobuta Ham on the Mak this year for Christmas... Ive always had pre smoked hams ... I have never actually smoked one myself... Any tips on times and glazes would be great....Thanks

Deb

bflodan-

Are you going to cure it or smoke it as a fresh ham (which is like a pork roast)?

I have cured a couple and used the Brown Sugar Ham recipe in Charcuterie but have not done his glaze. I did a orange glaze once which was good, I'll try to dig up what I did. Here is a blog post that I just found that looks good and has the recipe curing ham | Sustainable Eats

This is the one that I did last Christmas, I boned it before curing so that I could slice it on the meat slicer. This one was done in the Bradley but the temps in the Charcuterie can be done in a pellet grill
022.jpg

SilverBullet

I'm lucky enough a have a Butcher that sells me cured butts for ham & cured bellies for bacon. So I smoke them myself.
For Ham I've been doing this. I smoke it for 5 to 6 hrs @ 155 then I'll turn up the heat to 250 & cook it thr rest of the way. Pulling it when the internal is 150 & no more than 155. My butcher suggested not smoking it all the way till internal was reach because of being on the grill to long would dry it out.
After about 4 hrs in to this I crack open a can of pineapple slices & put them on the top of the ham. Then I mix the juice from the can with a bit of water & put it in a spray bottle & spray the Ham with it every 45 min to an hr.
I use 100 percent hickory pellets from cookingpellets.
GUARRENTEED Moist, juicy, tender Ham every time!
Here is the one I did about 3 weeks ago.
GEDC0522.jpg

GEDC0523.jpg

Last edited:

bflodan

Thanks for the info Deb and Silverbullet... Im glad I asked... I didnt realize what a process it was and that Im going to need at least a week of just curing... I can get fresh Kurobuta from a small butcher in my area...I dont think it is cured...The price is only 3.99/lb so it looks like Ill have to do all the work... Sounds like a fun challange though.. Deb, that orange glaze does sound great if you can find it... Thanks for the help..

Deb

It's work but the ham is so good.

Kurobuta for 3.99lb is a steal !

I'll look for the glaze recipe, the original version from the cookbook uses bourbon instead of grand marnier and that would be really good too.

bflodan

Just got my Mak cookbook today Deb and saw that orange glaze...Was wondering if that was some form of what you where talking about.. Going to go to the butcher this weekend and get some info on sizes and cuts available..

Deb

The one I used is from Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures & Glazes by Jim Taratino

It's a variation off the Maple-Bourbon Glaze which is also really good

The variation replaces Grand Marnier for the Bourbon and a fruit mustard for the brown mustard

Maple Bourbon Glaze

1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup cider vinegar
grated zest and juice of 2 juice oranges (about 1/2 cup)
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of brown or full-flavored yellow mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup soy or tamari sauce

in heavy saucepan simmer all ingredients about 30 minutes until reduced to 1 cup. Cool the glaze and store in clean airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made ahead and stored in fridge for 3 weeks. To use the glaze after refrigerating, warm it over medium heat,stirring occaisionally.

Depending on your ham size you may need to double or triple the recipe

Top Bottom