Visit to Cookpigs.com and Pig Steaks

Big Poppa

Administrator
I went to a great little town in northern San Diego County that is 5,000 elevation where they are famous for apple pie, Julian California. What they also have is the neatest heritage pig farm and when I say neatest I mean cleanest, most humane and natural. Kristy was kind enough to show me around and sell me some pork. 18 holes of golf, a road trip and then dinner...They breed Red Wattle, Berkshire,GOS Heritage, Large Black Heritage, and crosses of all of them.

So Ipicked up some heritage pork. Tonight I cooked what was labeled "Pork Steaks" and I cranked up the Memphis Pro with the new controller (are you reading this Kite) and the flame zone. Seasoned with Sweet Money (hits the stores on Weds) and smoiked at 270 for 10 minutes flipped and smoked for 7 minutes pulled and rested and cranked the Pro to 550 and seared them off!
IMG_0950_zps916b24be.jpg

IMG_0959_zps75b45de5.jpg

IMG_0960_zps77784c39.jpg

IMG_0962_zps0acbb877.jpg

IMG_0963_zpscd546458.jpg

IMG_0965-2.jpg

scooter

Probably sirloin or round. Both make good eating especially from those breeds.
BP, do you know of any directory of heritage pork breeders? Was wondering how you found them?

HoDeDo

Nice looking pork! I got to butcher some really nice Berkshire last week. If they finished them a little bigger, it would be amazing. They are butchering at roughly 150-60lbs. One we had was 200, and it was beautiful. Cut the ribs off the side and cooked them right out back!

Those pork steaks look like they would melt in your mouth. sounds like you had a great trip!

Top Bottom