"Cuban" pork tacos.

soupyjones

I wanted to branch out a bit this week and I really wanted to try my hand at a mojo sauce so I gave it a whirl.
On Friday while I was making a couple of steaks I roasted a few peppers.
DSC05291_zps74edd37a.jpg

Much later after my steak was settled and a cold beer was enjoyed I started on my mojo sauce. Mojo is a traditional Cuban sauce with lots of garlic and a citrus juice. In Cuba they usually use sour orange, but finding that in Alberta is a bit tricky. i have seen a recipe using orange and lemon juices but i tried grapefruit to be different.
Here are my sauce fixins.
DSC05292_zps65ea8c97.jpg

Once i got the sauce built i put in this handy jar and put it in the fridge for the night.
DSC05293_zps149eaccc.jpg

I did not have time to do a regular pulled pork but I wanted that type of tenderness. I decided that a mojito brine would help. Sadly I had no fresh mint or lime on hand but I used what I had.
DSC05294_zps906f55b2.jpg

That went in the fridge for the night as well. Saturday morning I had this fine piece of swine ready to go. I gave it a coat of siracha and mustard, and a basic rub of salt sugar and dry mustard.
DSC05295_zps5dfd23a7.jpg

On to the traeger at 300 for 2 hours
DSC05296_zpsa7b6fe73.jpg

After 2 hours I took it off the Traeger and put it in a pan with an onion, my peppers from the day before and a few glugs of white wine.
DSC05297_zps75f1818f.jpg

I threw the pan in the oven for another 3 hours at 325, cooled it and took the pan juice and peppers out. Then I pulled the pork and added my mojo sauce.
DSC05299_zps10271840.jpg

I used the pan juices to make quinoa in and made a quick black bean puree. When added up in taco form it looked like this.
DSC05301_zps1ddcd028.jpg

It all came together very well. I have lots of pork left over that is making some great Cuban sandwiches for my lunch this week. Thanks for taking a look.

Top Bottom