Bacon wrapped cheese stuffed chicken thighs (aka The Bacon Igloo)

scooter

I got this idea off of the TV show USA of Bacon. The host goes around the country trying various restaurants offerings where bacon is the main ingredient or is at least wrapped in bacon! This episode was the Spring Street Smokehouse in Los Angeles, CA.

They take a ladle (I used a small bowl) and line it with bacon. They didn't use rub but I did. I sprinkled it with jalapeno seasoned salt and Desert Gold
IMG_0553_zps5c3e51b3.jpg

Line the inside of the bacon with 2 butterflied out boneless skinless chicken thighs then another sprinkle of the two BPS rubs.
IMG_0554_zps5d161215.jpg

Put in a few chunks of cheese. I used pepper jack, cheddar and asiago.
IMG_0556_zps4e51ca4c.jpg

Then put in some sauted onions, garlic and anaheim chiles
IMG_0557_zpsf30f044f.jpg

Wrap up the ends of the bacon to close it up and hit with more of the two BPS rubs. Flip it over onto a frogmat then sprinkled some jalapeno bacon rub over the top.
IMG_0558_zps19b88caa.jpg

Put in the MAK at 275 until 165IT. Raised the temp to 400 near the end to brown the bacon a bit more.
IMG_0560_zps81fbaa19.jpg

Plate up with some onion rings and coleslaw
IMG_0567_zps82752f88.jpg

IMG_0564_zpsa9526f22.jpg

IMG_0569_zpsfbe89f93.jpg

IMG_0580_zps78d59b87.jpg

IMG_0571_zps308ae3b7.jpg

So good with the bacon crust, oozing cheese and caramelized onion, garlic, and chiles.

IMG_0582_zps57e5872f.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Yep, literally anything could go inside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

scooter

I know, she's the queen of bacon weave no doubt! It would definitely be a challenge to get a weave into the mold cleanly.

soupy, the way the bacon is wrapped, there is no where for it to go. It really is trapped inside. Plus, it only gets 165 inside so depending on the cheese you use they all get oozy at different temps. Of the three I used only the cheddar really got oozy. The asiago and pepper jack only got slightly oozy. You can sort of tell by the close up of the cut half. The cheddar is ready to flow while the other two are only getting ready! :)

scooter

Oops! I moved them to a different photo bucket album and forgot they'd get orphaned here! I'll fix it tonight. Thank you for pointing out Silverback.

Phantom, it was in last weekends contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

Top Bottom