Appetizer idea's

kentucky smoke

I’m looking for some great appetizer idea’s for a party I’m hosting next week. I’ve worn out the ATB’s and Teriyaki pineapple chucks wrapped with bacon. Help me with with some fun , great tasting idea’s thanks

jimsbarbecue

Baby back ribs. I am serious. Served them once as a appetizer (not planned) went over so big, that we do it a lot now. We make a sweet version and or a sassy version.

squirtthecat

Bacon wrapped meatballs are always fun and easy...
I've even hot smoked bacon wrapped tater tots. Surprisingly good. Not so good left over.

I'm toying with the idea of curing a couple racks of baby backs overnight with Morton Tender Quick, rinse and smoke until tender (yet still kinda firm), then slice up for individual servings. Bacon on a stick!

TentHunter

I do a variation on Armadillo eggs that always seem to go ever well. I call them Heat & Sweet Armadillo eggs. I use both Jalapenos and sweet peppers. I'll get the mini sweets or cut reb, yellow, orange bell peppers into sections. Cut the jalapenos & mini sweets in half & seed them. Fill with a mixture of cream cheese & Extra sharp cheddar, then top with some italian or breakfast sausage, smoke at 225 for about 1 hour.

Sometimes I'll hit them with a little rub or brush BBQ sauce on before smoking, or change the type of cheese. They're very versatile.

Another very simple appetizer are chunks of the immitation crab meat or shrimp wrapped in bacon with a toothpick stuck through, then smoked. Those get gobbled up pretty quickly too.

Last edited:

BigBountyBBQ

There's a great recipe for Pecan-Crusted Pork Tenderloin Pinwheels in Chris Lilly's book. THE BEST appetizer I've ever had.

Matt Dalton

These are great thanks and keep them coming.. Matt, please do post your thai chicken recipe
ok here it is
a couple pounds of your favorite chicken cuts (cut to 1 inch cube)
1 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp turmeric powder
3 shallots(minced)
3 garlic cloves minced fine
4 tsp kecap manis soy sauce(abc brand)
1 tbls oyster sauce
2 stalks lemongrass stalks(outer layer removed inside minced fine)
1/2 cup peanut oil

peanut sauce:
enough oil to coat a sauce pan
1/2 cup shallot or red onion minced fine
4 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp red chili flake
1 tsp paprika
1/2 cup peanut butter(creamy or chunky your choice)
1 cup coconut milk
3 tbls lime juice
3 tbls packed brown sugar
2 tbls fish sauce
1 jalapeno minced fine
1 tsp cilantro minced or lemon basil if you can get it
2 tbls sake

For the satay put every thing in a food processor or blender minus the oil pulse till combined,slowly add oil to create an emulsification paste,add cleaned chicken and paste mix in a plastic bag and work until well coated,sit overnight if possible,the same day you make the paste make the sauce too,first saute shallot,garlic and pepper add powdered ingredients to saute add lime juice and sake to deglaze,add coconut milk and peanut butter whisk together over low heat,add cilantro off heat.serve with sliced cucumber

DSC00055.jpg

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Gary Mie has a great idea oysters rockefeller! those would be killer. Gary we are going to have to play golf with Mike

txpgapro

Smoked oysters with creamed spinach, bacon bits, parmesan cheese and a Hollandaise sauce. Oh my!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kentucky smoke

OK If I can find oysters in KY. I might give this a try. It doesn't look too difficult and could be fun.
How does the recipe below look? not too sure about the pie tins in a smoker???
18 fresh oysters on the half shell
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons finely minced raw spinach
1 1/2 tablespoons minced onion
1 1/2 tablespoons minced parsley
2 1/2 tablespoons bread crumbs
Tabasco sauce to taste
1/4 teaspoon Herbsaint, or substitute Pernod
1/4 teaspoon salt
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients except the oysters. Cook, constantly stirring for 15 minutes. Press the mixture through a sieve or a food mill. Cool. Line six pie tins with rock salt. Set 6 oysters in the rock salt on each pie tin. Divide the topping into 18 equal portions. Place one portion on each oyster. smoke until topping is brown..

KimG SOW

To go along with those you could also cover some bacon with brown sugar & cayanne, throw on the smoker or in the oven. PIG CANDY!!!

LTS

Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT)

Bacon wrapped Jalapenos filled with cream cheese and sausage
YUM

LTS

ACW3

After seeing the chicken satay I was reminded of an appetizer I used to make a lot before I got my MAK. It may be time to do them again. Basically they are a beef variation of the chicken satay. I use flank steak or flat iron steak cut into strips like I might be making jerky out of them. Thread them on a skewer and marinate them in your favorite teriyaki style marinade. If anyone ever served in the Navy on the west coast or in Hawaii, they might remember them as "monkey on a stick".

Art

Top Bottom