Maple Glazed & Smoked Pork Loin

TentHunter

I picked up the back half of a pork loin at the butcher's and had him cut the ribs from the loin meat. I'll save the Loin back ribs for another cook.

I brushed on a heavy coating of pure Ohio maple syrup, dusted with some Little Louie's & sprinkled on some red pepper flakes. The sweet & hint of heat combo is great!
MAP_PL01.JPG

Onto the MAK to catch some Maple smoke at 275°. After 1 hour the temp was bumped up to 325° to finish.
MAP_PL02.JPG

The roast was pulled off when it hit an I.T. of 150° and rested for a few minutes. Can you smell the sweet smokey maple goodness?
MAP_PL03.JPG

Cooked to a nice medium with just a hint of pink, juicy and tender!
MAP_PL04.JPG

Plated.
MAP_PL05.JPG

P.S. If you're wondering about the final temp, remember, the FDA relaxed the temp guidelines for whole cuts of pork. If you haven't tried a pork roast cooked to medium, you need to!

Last edited:

RickB

WOW!!! That pork is cooked to perfection. Killed that one dude. Nice plate.

is that a pool of butter in those taters I see? If so extra points!

RickB

Just a side note to Tents cook. The FDA has dropped its recommendation for finish temps on pork to 145. Except for ground pork which is still 160. For a roast assuming a 5 degree rise on rest you could probably pull at 140. But my guess is it will be awhile before the average american consumer will accept pink pork.

TrickyDick

Just a side note to Tents cook. The FDA has dropped its recommendation for finish temps on pork to 145. Except for ground pork which is still 160. For a roast assuming a 5 degree rise on rest you could probably pull at 140. But my guess is it will be awhile before the average american consumer will accept pink pork.

Told ya this guy is pro chef material.

Pappymn

I was doing 145 before the government said I could. I have a policy of doing the opposite of what "the man" tells me to do. ;)

TentHunter

Just a side note to Tents cook. The FDA has dropped its recommendation for finish temps on pork to 145. Except for ground pork which is still 160.

Great clarification Rick! Yes, ground pork still needs to be cooked to 160° minimum. As I mentioned above, the new temperature guidelines are for whole cuts of pork.

Top Bottom