My weekend sausage forray...

TentHunter

I got the new sausage stuffer and am planning on giving it a workout this weekend.

I've been making fresh Breakfast, Italian, Bratwurst & Hungarian sausages for a few years now, and I've had some success with some uncured hot smoked sausages. But with the help & advice of Nepas, Deb & Art (ACW3), my forray into the world of cured smoked sausages started last evening.

I started by mixing up 5 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck for some Summer Sausage.

I looked at at least 35 or 40 recipes and here's the spice mix I came up with. It contains : Cure #1, Pickling Salt, Dry Mustard, Mustard seed, Course Black Pepper, Granulated Garlic, Coriander, Brown Sugar & Powdered Buttermilk.
SSMIX.JPG

I mixed the spices together then with the 80/20 chuck packed into a container, covered and into the fridge it went. I took it out this morning to mix again, recovered then back into the fridge for another day and a half to finish curing.
SSCURING.JPG

More to come...

TentHunter

Please. I just got a LEM. No supplies yet,So all the info you have please share. Never to many photos

Absolutely!

Now I haven't tasted it yet (obviously), but here's the spice mix I came up with. It has 25-30% less salt than most of the recipes (I prefer the lower sodium). These are the amounts I used:

5 Lbs Chuck, ground (looking for about an 80/20 mix)

1 level tsp. Cure #1 (a little less might be ok, but DO NOT use more than that!)
5 tsp. Pickling Salt or fine Sea Salt
4 tsp. Dry Mustard, Mustard seed or a combo (I used 2 tsp each)
1 tsp. Course Black pepper
1 tsp. Granulated Garlic
1-1/2 tsp. ground Coriander
5 tsp. Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Powdered Buttermilk (optional - to give it that lactic acid tang.)

We'll see how this recipe fairs in a couple days! If the smell I smelled when I gave it another stir this morning is any indication, then it should be good!

Cliff

Deb

Tent - can't tell for sure how tight that plastic is next to the meat but make sure it is right up against the meat with no air in between - it will be a prettier red that way instead of grey where the air is. It won't hurt anything but it just be prettier :)

TentHunter

Good to know; Thanks Deb!

Edit: Is it better to totally wrap the mix in the plastic to get a better seal?

Last edited:

TentHunter

Tent - can't tell for sure how tight that plastic is next to the meat but make sure it is right up against the meat with no air in between - it will be a prettier red that way instead of grey where the air is. It won't hurt anything but it just be prettier :)

As soon as I got home from work last evening I checked and it was tight against the meat (whew!).

TentHunter

Disclaimer & Warning!

Before I go any further, I must give a Disclaimer and warning:

Disclaimer: I am a newbie on smoked and/or cured sausage. So what I am posting & sharing here is merely what I've experienced & learned so far. I AM NOT AN EXPERT!

Warning: Smoking sausage carries responsibility on YOUR part! NEVER try to cold smoke sausage unless its been cured with an appropriate cure containing nitrites or nitrates. Doing so could lead to Botulism poisoning! FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS THAT COME WITH THE CURE or consult someone who is more qualified!

If you choose to avoid the use of Nitrates/Nitrites and Hot Smoke sausage, then you MUST: 1) Accept the responsibility your yourself. 2) KEEP YOUR MEAT COLD! And 3) When you hot smoke it, get the internal temp up and out of the danger zone (40 - 140° F) quickly to prevent the formation of the bacteria.

This is important; PLEASE be smart and research this stuff for yourself!

LTS

If you really want to get ito sausage making you really should buy this book

"Great Sausage Recipes and Meat curing by rytek kutas"

Barnes*&*Noble.com - All Product Search: great sausage recipies and meat curing by rytek kutas

Barnes and noble

It is kinda the sausage making bible I have learned a lot out of here and it is also FULL of recipes, I am only about a 1/4 of the way through the recipe section yet and have turned out some good sausage and brats from his book

LTS

TentHunter

Update - Smoked Kielbasa & Andouille

This weekend I am also making some Smoked Polish Kielbasa & Smoked Cajun Andouille Sausage. By request I am trying to share the details, so please forgive the long posts. :)

I'm using two different smoking methods to show the difference.

The Kielbasa will be uncured and therefore HOT smoked. The Andouille will be Cold smoked and therefore cured.

What do I mean by cured & uncured? They both contain salt but I'm referring to whether or not the sausage contains a curing agent that includes Sodium Nitrite or Nitrate. These cures are commonly referred to as Cure #1 and Cure #2

I started with 6 lbs. of pork shoulder (this is the picnic shoulder I skinned and boned when I made the doggie treats a couple weeks ago).
SMK01.JPG

IMPORTANT: ALWAYS weigh your meat, AFTER you remove bones, skin etc., so you know how much spice mix and/or cure to use! NEVER GUESS!!!
SMK02.JPG

Polish Kielbasa & Andouille are similar sausages. Andouille is spicier and usually smoked a little heavier. So I chose to make 1 mix for both sausages and then simply added the additional spices for Andouille.

Both contain: Pickling Salt, Marjoram, Smoked Paprika, Course Black Pepper, Mustard Seed & Granulated Garlic. The Andouille also contains: a little more paprika, Cayenne Pepper & Red pepper Flakes. Since its being cold smoked the Andouille also contains the appropriate amount of Cure #1.
SMK03.JPG

Note: its hard to see in the pic, but the cure #1 has little red flecks in it so it doesn't get confused with regular salt.

There are two basic ways to mix sausage. You can start with ground meat, then add the spices. Or cut the meat into small cubes, coat with the spice mix and let it sit to absorb the flavors, then grind it. For Fresh sausage I like to start with ground meat, but for Smoked Sausage I seem to get better results with the second method.

Edit: Some folks also like to add a bit of water or mix the spices with a bit of cold water to help incorporate the spices/salt into the ground meat.

The sausage is now cubed, spiced and sitting in the fridge for about 6 - 8 hours.
SMK04.JPG

Here's my spice mix amounts. Note this has a lower sodium mix than most recipes. I try my best to avoid unecessary/excess salt whenever possible (high blood pressure)!

Kielbasa - per pound of meat:
3/4 - 1 tsp. Salt (3/4 for lower sodium)
1/2 tsp. Marjoram
1/2 tsp. Paprika (I use Smoked Paprika)
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Mustard seed
1/8 tsp. Granulated Garlic

Andouille - per pound of meat:
Same as Kielbasa plus add:
1/4 tsp. additional Paprika
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes

To be continued!

Last edited:

TentHunter

If you really want to get ito sausage making you really should buy this book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat curing by rytek kutas"

Great Tip! I remember Deb posting that book in another thread and was actually getting ready to look it up when I read your post!

So far everything I've learned has been by a lot of online research, cook books we have, library, asking folks (like Deb & Nepas) and experimenting with recipes flavors.. But that book is definitely going on my Christmas wish-list!

Thanks! :D

ACW3

Tenthunter and I have been "conversing" via PMs recently. I bought a Cabelas horizontal sausage stuffer a while back and I have limited my experiments to pre-packaged flavors that contain the proper amount of cure, the spices, and the casings. My wife has already ordered the Rytek Kutas book for one my Christmas presents. When I finish using up all the different flavors of sausage, I will start expanding my horizons. I have done 15 pounds of elk and Russian boar summer sausage that came out really well. Tonight I made my first beef sticks. Only one blow-out. I consider that a success. Tomorrow they go on the MAK to get some smoke into them. I just bought more pork to grind and some 80/20 beef burger. I plan to try a few more types of sausage soon. It is fun, and the results are really good. This could be addictive. Nepas, is this how you got "hooked"?

Art

nepas

As everyone can see there are many ways to make fresh and smoked sausage. TH puts the dry right onto the meat. I grind and mix the dry with water for better incorporation into the meat. Either way works good.

TH

Try these when you get a chance.

Chorizo 10 lbs. Cut it in half for 5 lbs

7 lbs lean beef (pre ground is ok)
1 1/2 lbs pork butt
1 1/2 lbs beef fat (trim from a brisket works good here) NOTE: If you dont have beef fat just ass another 1 1/2 lb of pork butt.
2 level tsp cure #1............1 level tsp for 5 lbs
5 Tbs non-iodized salt
3 Tbs spanish paprika
3 Tbs cayenne
2 Tbs crushed red pepper
2 Tbs garlic powder
2 Tbs mexican oregano
1/4 cup dextrose (powder)
1/4 cup corn syrup solids
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup chilled distilled water
2 cups non fat dry milk
33-36mm hog casing (enough for 10 lbs) rinse inside and out and soak in water with 1 Tbs vinegar 30-60 mins prior to stuffing, rinse again before stuffing.

Grinding is through the med plate.
Mix all the dry with the water and incorporate into the meat. A second gring is up to you, I normally dont.
Stuff into casing in 5-6" links.
Hang or rack in smoker at 130-140* with vent open or door cracked for about an hour for casings to dry. (no smoke)
Close vent to 1/4 and or close door. Set heat to 150-155* for another hour with smoke. Raise heat to 170* with smoke. Smoke at this temp until the IT (chorizo) reaches 152-155*

When IT is reached cool the chorizo with cold water, Hang at room temp to bloom.

Cut links and package 4 to a vac bag, They will keep frozen for 6 months.

Kielbasa.......10 lbs or cut for 5 lbs

6 lbs lean beef (pre ground is ok)
2 lbs pork butt
2 lbs beef fat.......(same as above chorizo recipe)
2 tsp cure #1
5 Tbs non-iodized salt
2 Tbs dextrose powder
2 Tbs garlic granules
2 Tbs yellow mustard seed (ground)
1 Tbs white pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cardamom
1 cup cold distilled water
1 cup non fat dry milk

Prepare and stuff as stated in the above chorizo. Place stuffed links in fridge overnight and smoke the following day in the same manner as chorizo.

Easy Peasy

TentHunter

You are having a lot of fun arent you?

You bet I am!

I just used the new stuffer and Oh my word does it ever work nice! Its so much faster than the hand crank grinder/stuffer. I am really glad I spent the extra $$$'s and got a well built one. Next will be a better grinder.

TH Try these when you get a chance...

Oh yeah! My son & I love Chorizo, and nutmeg in the Kielbasa... I love the aroma & flavor that nutmeg gives to brats. I can taste it just thinking about it. Both recipes will be getting a try for sure. Thanks again NePas!

BTW, I PM'd you a question regarding the Summer Sausage smoke/cook.

TentHunter

Late night update...

The Kielbasa & Andouille have been ground, mixed again & stuffed into hog casings. We fried up a small piece of each to test and are happy. Cant wait 'till they're smoked.
SMK05.JPG

The summer sausage is stuff into their cotton casings and fit perfectly into two of the casings made to the size NePas instructed.
SSCHUBS.JPG

All are on their wire rack beds tucked into the fridge to dry overnight. Tomorrow they get smoked!

Last edited:
Top Bottom